Skip to main content
Answered

Unable to Browse Music - Imported Playlist

Like everyone else, I have had so many issues with the app. I was finally able to install/index my music library from iTunes. However, it unfortunately stopped working.  I called support and the reuploaded it for me. Now I get the message “UNABLE TO BROWSE MUSIC” if i click on a specific playlist, artist or song. I have called customer support twice on this issue and they just delete and reupload my music library. However, once the library is fully indexed/uploaded, I get the same message. So reuploading the music library is not the solution. If I try to access my music library from the app on my iPhone, it either won’t show my imported music library or say “error, try again” if I try to play a song from it.

I have a Mac and an iPhone. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions?

50 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yep, same issue here. Had finally gotten my music library to work a couple of weeks ago via Mac controller/iPhone. Yesterday’s desktop update broke it & the library is again inoperable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes, same problem here.

Userlevel 2

Same here. I can index the library (only on the windows app), and the “Music Library” option shows up on IOS devices. I get a list of categories, but I can’t browse anything. What is weird is that music in my library shows up in the queue on the windows app and are playable. But trying to browse, I keep getting the message “Something went wrong”. This is the exact behavior Michael describes. This after also deleting and adding the library back in.

I’m getting so tired of this nonsense.

Like everyone else, I have had so many issues with the app. I was finally able to install/index my music library from iTunes. However, it unfortunately stopped working.  I called support and the reuploaded it for me. Now I get the message “UNABLE TO BROWSE MUSIC” if i click on a specific playlist, artist or song. I have called customer support twice on this issue and they just delete and reupload my music library. However, once the library is fully indexed/uploaded, I get the same message. So reuploading the music library is not the solution. If I try to access my music library from the app on my iPhone, it either won’t show my imported music library or say “error, try again” if I try to play a song from it.

I have a Mac and an iPhone. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solutions?

Userlevel 1

Update: I just got off the phone with support (fourth time this week!), and he told me that Sonos engineers are aware of the problem with “Unable to Browse Music” and hope to have a solution by then end of July. So basically I can’t use my Sonos the rest of the month (at least) but at least they did not ask me to upload my music library again or say it was my router.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for the update, Michael_16. The issue occurred for me when I updated my Sonos Controller for Mac to Version 16.3. I get the error, “Unable to browse music” when attempting to play any of my imported playlists. Fortunately, I’m able to play artists, albums, and songs, just not any of my imported playlists. It’s maddening that Sonos is now scrambling to fix a problem that they created with the update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same here. Build 16.3 (Windows) or firmware 80155014 seems to be the culprit.

If you have local music in the queue the app crashes. Take it out and everything is ok.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just tested. I can add music to the queue from the app, once it’s in the queue it’ll crash, however.

I can no longer do anything with the system until I open the Windows controller and Clear Queue.

Looks like they are only testing streaming services before pushing updates. SIgh.

Same problem. Unable to use my playlist. “Unable to Browse”. Unable to replace que. This seems to happen all too often. I waste a lot of time trying to figure what is going on- restarting my computer, re-indexing, etc. Only to find out it is a Sonos problem. Don’t you test your new software releases??? You at least need to notify your customers when this happens,  so we don’t waste so much time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Same problem. Unable to use my playlist. “Unable to Browse”. Unable to replace que. This seems to happen all too often. I waste a lot of time trying to figure what is going on- restarting my computer, re-indexing, etc. Only to find out it is a Sonos problem. Don’t you test your new software releases??? You at least need to notify your customers when this happens,  so we don’t waste so much time. 

There’s an app update available now that tackles music library issues. 

Queue management is coming end August.

Playlists load, but still “unable to browse” and error 1002 when I attempt to play a playlist or replace Queue. Queue is empty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Did you run the system update last week that accompanies today’s app update?

Same issue. How many times are Sonos going to send out broken updates. My phone has been driving me crazy for 2 months, but at least the desktop app was still working. Now they’ve broken that too. 

It’s been driving me crazy for the past few nights. The only way I can get it to play songs and retain the queue without crashing, is to remove imported playlists.

I’ve seen a few people say don't update and it will be fine, so I tried that on an old phone but it doesn’t let me open anything without updating. Does anyone know how to get around this as I’ve zero confidence in any new updates they roll out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Today’s app update looks to be fine for most people. Those saying don’t update were basing it on previous updates. And those holding out on old app versions now have to update. 

You can keep looking for ways to avoid getting your Sonos working if you like though. 

Badge

Ongoing problems with iTunes library on Synology DSM NAS.  I was able to access all music, folders. albums, and imported iTunes playlists until the update on July 18.  Then not.

Today things are a little better but after an hour on phone with support it is clear there are several known issues.  The desktop controller on Windows cannot read the Imported Playlists from iTunes - “unable to browse music”.  Albums are listed multiple times in the Artists & Albums sections.

The suggested work around is to just use the “Folders” section until fix can be applied in yet another update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ongoing problems with iTunes library on Synology DSM NAS.  I was able to access all music, folders. albums, and imported iTunes playlists until the update on July 18.  Then not.

Today things are a little better but after an hour on phone with support it is clear there are several known issues.  The desktop controller on Windows cannot read the Imported Playlists from iTunes - “unable to browse music”.  Albums are listed multiple times in the Artists & Albums sections.

The suggested work around is to just use the “Folders” section until fix can be applied in yet another update.

And this is after installing today’s app update?

Badge

Yes.  I installed the update to both iOS iPad & Android phone today.  I don’t believe there was an update for the Windows desktop controller which is what I use mostly as it has tended to be the most functional. When I try to access Imported Playlists on Android App I get “Something went wrong.”  Same when I try Artists or Albums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes.  I installed the update to both iOS iPad & Android phone today.  I don’t believe there was an update for the Windows desktop controller which is what I use mostly as it has tended to be the most functional. When I try to access Imported Playlists on Android App I get “Something went wrong.”  Same when I try Artists or Albums.

I think I read early on after the update that someone cured that issue by uninstalling the app on Android and then reinstalling. 

When I check for upgrades it says my Sonos Software is up to date. I can play composers, songs, albums, genres, etc. but I cannot use my play lists. Very frustrating. Is that fix coming at a later date? Any idea when?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

When I check for upgrades it says my Sonos Software is up to date. I can play composers, songs, albums, genres, etc. but I cannot use my play lists. Very frustrating. Is that fix coming at a later date? Any idea when?

Have you updated the app from your App Store? It’s not a system update, which is what you checked for.

Badge

I think I read early on after the update that someone cured that issue by uninstalling the app on Android and then reinstalling. 

Thanks, but that doesn’t work for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Michael_16 et al 

FYI: I believe there is a bug in the very latest Sonos Firmware 16.3 re Music Library “Imported Playlists”.
As per the thread below @Corry P indicated that Sonos are now aware of the issue and I assume they will be fixing this issue in a future Firmware update.
I have tagged @Corry P so he can correct me if this is still not the case.
Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks @rosswells127 

I have tagged this thread with the issue tracker and will inform you all here when this issue has been resolved. At present, there is no ETA.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is nuts.  How does Sonos justify what they did to all of our systems?  

I can not access my library at all.  At some point this has to be a class action.  We spent thousands of dollars on sonos equipment and they ruin it after the fact by releasing an app far before it’s ready?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I can not access my library at all.  At some point this has to be a class action.  We spent thousands of dollars on sonos equipment and they ruin it after the fact by releasing an app far before it’s ready?

Did you not update your app yesterday? It fixed a number of music library issues.

(There will be no class action. How do you take a company to court that is actively and demonstrably working towards remedying issues? How do you quantify your damages?)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Did you not update your app yesterday? It fixed a number of music library issues.

(There will be no class action. How do you take a company to court that is actively and demonstrably working towards remedying issues? How do you quantify your damages?)

Even with the update Music Library Imported Playlists: “Unable to browse music”

A Class Action lawsuit may be folly but there is not a lot of evidence that Sonos “is actively and demonstrably working toward remedying issues” They certainly are keeping things opaque.