Skip to main content

We are another victim of Sonos pointless updates. We were set-up and the system was working perfectly.

The music folder is on an external drive connected via USB to a BT Smart Hub 2 - it presents as a NAS drive and is accessible by any other device on the home network (wholly independently of any other computer on the network).

The music library folder was set-up and is managed through Windows - that much still all works as it should.

Our Move used to be able to stream music from the NAS (with no other PC being active). Since the updates it has lost access to the NAS and any attempt to restore connectivity results in error 913.

I’d be grateful for guidance on how to determine why it no longer works. Specifically, to determine whether this is a result of Sonos redacting support for SMB1 or whether this is a temporary hiatus that Sonos will resolve through a future firmware update “later this month”.

It’s difficult to know the cause of your problem as you don’t mention if you are running an S1 or S2 system, nor any of the details of your NAS device.

With regard to the issues surrounding the new App, please see this official notice, which can also be accessed via the banner at the top of your screen: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/update-on-the-sonos-app?utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=blog-patrick

OK, I believe that it is an S2 system. The Sonos App on Windows is Orange rather than Black and identifies itself as shown below:

Honestly, I have given you all the details of my NAS device that I have. It’s a Western Digital My Book external drive connected via USB to a BT Smart Hub 2. That’s it! It works fine for shared storage across our home network, for overnight backups and up until recently as a music library for a Sonos Move. The Smart Hub 2 is the communications server, the drive is ‘dumb’. I’ll go hunting technical detail on the BT Community Forum in parallel …

And, yes, I’ve seen Patrick’s blog entry which is why I posted my question here in the first place. And, honestly, it is pathetic - if they cared at all about Sonos users they would have reverted the failed updates to a previously known good state ages ago.

I apologise if the answer to my question is already contained within community answers, but such is the number of threads on the topic it is very difficult to find whether the information I need is already here ...

Can you try and reboot the NAS, as far as I can determine it will auto detect smb 2…

I would expect that a Windows 10 forum would be best to investigate rather than a BT one.  This article may help: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

No need to apologise and I’m sorry if my questions appear abrupt but the level of emotion in what is still a user forum is a bit draining! :)

As you say, red wine helps! 😀

I’m an old IT dinosaur. The wife wanted to listen to her music in the kitchen, so I did a bit of research, bought her a Sonos Move, created a music library on the NAS, hooked it all up - happy wife. And Sonos have chosen to sabotage all that, and I now get to waste time sorting out their mess. So, yes, emotions are running a little high … 😏

I’m an old IT dinosaur - did I say that before? - and now need to try to remember how I set-up the NAS in the first place. My memory isn’t quite what it once was but I suspect that when M$ decide to deprecate SMB1 I had to search out the appropriate article to force fit it back - either way the system is working on Windows 11 (latest).

My best hope is the BT Community forum since it is the “NAS server” in the hub that determines what protocols are supported …

It would help to understand at this point whether the Sonos firmware has been updated to remove SMB1 support and if so when? (Basically, I could care less about the various Apps since they serve merely as ‘remote control’ devices.)

Thanks for your help.

To confirm, smb1 is no longer supported on the S2 App. :)

… and I have confirmed via the BT Community forum that the SH2 supports SMB1 only and that there are no configuration options.

Sonos ‘updates’ have rendered our Move useless - so unless they offer some form of legacy support, I will be looking for financial compensation.

☹️

… and I have confirmed via the BT Community forum that the SH2 supports SMB1 only and that there are no configuration options.

Sonos ‘updates’ have rendered our Move useless - so unless they offer some form of legacy support, I will be looking for financial compensation.

☹️

I’m not sure the Sonos Move is useless, more like your NAS device. 😜

☹️

You could always revert back to the S1 version of the App but that functionality is currently not available, although is due at some point in the future:

https://support.sonos.com/en-nz/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-to-s1

☹️

To be clear, the NAS is working perfectly - it holds and shares the data that it is ‘designed’ to. Our music library is there and available. It is the Sonos Move that is ‘broken’ and useless …

I have emailed the CEO. Sonos customer support is woeful.

Community forums are brilliant for information sharing but there is only so much that enthusiastic customers / users can do.

Again, ‘reverting’ to S1 (if that is a viable option) and downgrading the firmware on the Move itself could be a viable option should Sonos ever support it. I set it up on S2 originally ...

Just to close off this thread, I noticed this evening that the S2 App now supports the downgrade of a Sonos product to S1. And that is what I have done.

We can now, once again, listen to our Music Library, stored on a local NAS (connected via SMB1) - which gets us back to where we started.

In the process we have lost Sonos Voice Control - which was useful - and probably some other services that I am as yet unaware of.

We once again have what we started with but with no forward migration path - so our Move will be both the first and last piece of Sonos kit we ever buy. Sad really …

Mod Edit: removed PII from shared image