Unable to Add NAS Music Share on Android App

• 22 May 2023
  • 9 replies

I am still on Sonos S1 because my legacy Sonos speakers are not supported on S2.

I have tried to add a music share from my NAS on my home network.  However, after entering the correct path, username, and password, I see “Unable to add the music share \nasxxxxxx\public\music to your music library (900). 

And, the reason I am trying to add the music share from my NAS is because I received an email from Sonos stating that I won’t be able to play music stored on my phone anymore.

Hoping for a solution because I love my Sonos speakers.

Panger

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Which NAS? Which version of the Sonos controller?

Hi Bruce,

Sonos version 11.8 and QNAP NAS TS-262.

Thank you,

Panger

So, by 11.8, you’re using S1, and not S2, correct?

There are a plethora of threads about changes that need to be made to the version of SMB required for use of S1, since Sonos does not have the ability to upgrade to later versions. I’d encourage to read some of them, but I’ll boil it down, S1 only works with SMB v1 and NTML v1, and you’ll likely need to adjust the software on your NAS to allow that. 

Hi Bruce,

Yes, S1.

From what I am reading about SMB1, it is a security risk to continue to use.

I don’t understand all the technical reasons behind the changes, but I am disappointed with the lack of backwards compatibility of S2 and that owners of pricey Sonos speakers are being forced to buy into a music subscription service in order to continue to use these speakers.

However, I do thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

Anyone want to buy a set of limited edition Blue Note Sonos speakers?

Regards,

Panger

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wouldn’t it be a better idea to sell the Play 5 (gen 1)?

Why would that be?

If you were to update to a Sonos speaker that can use S2, it would be able to use SMB v2 or v3. There’s just not enough available memory on S1 devices to update the Linux kernel so it could handle the newer versions. 

Thanks Bruce.  I do appreciate your time.

It is just frustrating that we are a throwaway society and I have to spend more money on a product that I am now not confident will be useful in five years.  

And, I don't know if anyone will want to buy these beautiful Sonos paper weights.

Sad.

I was unhappy to retire my ‘386 Turbo, my first 20Meg hard drive, my Treo, the first iPhone I purchased….technology advances. As soon as you include a CPU and RAM in a device, it is guaranteed to need to be retired eventually, in order to keep up with changes. It’s an unfortunate side affect of ‘tech’. 

The Sonos PLAY:5 was originally released in November of 2009, which means it was designed and locked down for manufacture much earlier than that. Sonos S2 was released in August 2020.

Rather than forcing the PLAY:5  to stop working, Sonos ‘froze’ development of their software as S1 so it could continue to function, where other companies might have merely abandoned them. 

I get the desire for a ‘frozen’ environment, but where tech is involved, I just don’t see that as being possible. Things always move forward, at a seemingly faster pace.