Tune-In blocking foreign radio stations in the UK Master thread

• 13 September 2020
  • 101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As Sonos don’t seem to want to, lets try and consolidate the TuneIn UK problem into one master thread.

What we know: starting last Thursday, TuneIn in the UK started blocking all foreign radio stations. They did this because of a lawsuit they lost in November 2019.

Some have also claimed that Sonos Radio is also affected.

The known work-arounds are:

• Add the direct streaming url of the station to the Sonos system (only available to PC and Mac users detailed here
  • Try a different radio station aggregator (eg radio.com)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am not sure your answer makes sense. Firstly because it assumes everyone is now complying. 

Also because a station publishing its own links is rather different from a service that provides links to tens of thousands of stations with which it has no association, is it not?

And also inserts ads and monetizes the listings of those streams. Which if you read the court case was the crux of the problem.

Ah, good point @controlav . Although presumably it does that with licensed UK stations? Must be an interaction of unlicensed and monetised.

Came here to say the same thing -- if you can get hold of the stream link you can add the stations as above.

For example, SomaFM have added their links

https://somafm.com/listen/uktunein.html

Some of my fav stations don’t seem to have this link - get in touch with the station to see if they can help.

SomaFM were incredibly helpful as an example for me.

Hi, I tried the URL you kindly provided but I get a message informing  it’s not encoded properly 

Came here to say the same thing -- if you can get hold of the stream link you can add the stations as above.

For example, SomaFM have added their links

https://somafm.com/listen/uktunein.html

Some of my fav stations don’t seem to have this link - get in touch with the station to see if they can help.

SomaFM were incredibly helpful as an example for me.

Hi, I tried the URL you kindly provided but I get a message informing  it’s not encoded properly 

The link provided is a web page, not a streaming URL.  The URLs are on the web page 

Jeg syntes tit jeg ikke kan finde danske podcasts.

nu her f.eks berlinske og JP.

ender tit op med at bare afspille via iPad lyd

hvad gør i?

Badge

Hi all, like others, my favorite radio station has disappeared and I can’t find how to get the URL so that I can add it manually. Is anyone able to help? I searched the internet but no idea where to find it. It was Deep House Music on Sonos Radio. 

Cheers 

Thank you very, very much for creating this thread and special thanks to anyone who mentioned adding a URL directly.  

I have been listening to Proton Radio via TuneIn for well over a decade and access to Proton via TuneIn was the sole reason I bought into the Sonos ecosystem.  I thought all was lost and I would not be able to listen to my favourite station and artists via my Sonos system for the foreseeable future!

For anyone wanting to know the direct URL to stream Proton, the following has worked for me: http://www.protonradio.com/proton.m3u

I honestly would not know what to do with myself without being able to listen to Proton, so hopefully that URL will help others in my position and perhaps even introduce new people to the music and artists they feature; Transitions from John Digweed, Terminal from Cream; Looq Radio from Jondi and Spesh; Mind over Matter from Embliss... I could go on and on!

PS. If you recognise any of those shows and/or artists and can recommend a similar station to Proton, please post the URL!

Userlevel 1
Badge

This problem also seems to be affecting my use of Sonos Radio - there seem to be a large number of stations that don’t work.  Is Sonos Radio, apart from the exclusive streams, simply a wrapper around TuneIn?  If so, does Sonos have any plans to replace TuneIn with another radio database as its default service?

Fir some stations, I believe so. But not all. 

Badge +1

Hi,

This isn't the biggest problem in the world but it's a tad annoying. If I want to listen to the Lore podcast I browse TuneIn using the sonos app and select the episode to listen to, but it usually doesn't work the first time I try to play it. It may work on the second, third or fourth attempt. It always works eventually but it always takes a while.

I have no issues with my network music library or with streaming from amazon music. So I presume the problem is specifically related to TuneIn.

Anyone else having issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Anyone else having issues?

Just everyone using Sonos in the UK.

Userlevel 2

LookIng for easy 106.9. Chattanooga. Not accessible on Tunein anymore. Anyone have a direct stream as I can’t find one and my tuner doesn’t have it. Thanks  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

LookIng for easy 106.9. Chattanooga. Not accessible on Tunein anymore. Anyone have a direct stream as I can’t find one and my tuner doesn’t have it. Thanks  

Try https://prod-54-159-61-52.wostreaming.net/brewerchattanooga-wplzhd2aac-hlsc4.m3u8

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Came on here as noticed bulk of stations gone. Not so good!

Anyway, does anyone know if using a VPN changes things? I am assuming would need to be some sort of hardware VPN?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

And, for anyone missing Big FM Sunset Lounge

https://streams.bigfm.de/bigfm-sunsetlounge-128-mp3?usid=0-0-H-M-M-01

Works fine manually adding. So far!

Due to the legal problems of Tune In in the UK. I cant get Wreckingballradio.net. Its on live365 but I can't seem to find the link that works. 
This doesn't.    http://player.live365.com/a75201?l 

Hi sonos members

Need some help and advice on playing radio stations outside of UK. My sonos just wont connect to them although it was able to in the past. Ive tried getting help from chat service without much luck and their limited hours of service makes it difficult to get access to them.

Thanks

Kit

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That’s utterly shocking that the chat service were’t able to tell you that their own Sonos Radio product doesn’t really work in the UK as of mid September.

You need to use myTuner Radio instead.

Thanks Jay. I wasnt told that. Will use myTuner as you've suggested. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

And with the tone-deafness we’re getting used to from the Sonos marketing department, they launch a new paid radio service that offers, amongst other things, access to tens of thousands of global radio stations.  As Sonos Radio depends on TuneIn, and TuneIn is now largely useless for U.K. users, this claim might be either negligent or fraudulent, but it is certainly infuriating.

As the new service is, I think, only available in the US and the U.K., I don’t buy the argument that it’s only one country that is the exception.

Come on, Sonos.  You can do better than this, and you’re making yourselves look foolish.  Your Sonos Radio is broken, at least for the U.K., and needs to be fixed before you start asking people to pay for the premium version.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yep, that’s just embarrassing. I get that the HD product add-on has nothing to do with the 60,000+ worldwide stations in the free version but to still advertise this on the UK version of the site 2 months after it stopped working is basically fraudulent.

I am so fed up. For the past 5-6 years I have listened to Capital Jazz Lounge through my Sonos products on a daily basis. I had the station installed via Tunein, my tuner, radio.net and more recently Sonos radio. This way if any of the services went down, I was still able to access via a different service. The station has now disappeared from Sonos radio, Tunein and Mytuner and as of the end of October, radio.net via Sonos has gone down due to ‘radio.net currently working on their infrastructure’. 
I haven’t found any other station that I like as much as Capital Jazz Lounge and am disgusted that Sonos have not found a workaround for this issue. Sonos help advisors seem to be not only unable to understand the issue when you speak to them but unable to provide a suitable workaround. It’s ridiculous that in this day and age with the amount of technology available, no resolution can be provided. I have contacted the station asking for their streaming url but I suspect that adding this manually will probably still not work as it has to be done via Tunein. If anybody has any useful advice, please let me know!! 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I haven’t found any other station that I like as much as Capital Jazz Lounge and am disgusted that Sonos have not found a workaround for this issue.

Did you read the thread? This is the result of a lawsuit, and all of the aggregators are now following UK law. Are you suggesting that Sonos break UK law?

The easy fix is to find an actual streaming URL for this station and add it to your radio list directly, using the desktop app. Despite your attitude I just spent 2 minutes finding the stream url for you:

http://stream.radio.co/se9fddf547/listen

You’re welcome.

I wasn’t being rude to you! Why have you taken my comment so personally? Yes I have read the thread and do understand that this due to Tunein and the lawsuit. I am simply stating my frustration as others on this thread have. I do not see how my comment has upset you so personally? 

By the way - thank you for the streaming url! I would love to know how you found it because I could not. It just kept taking the web page url and throwing out an error message. 🤷🏼‍♀️