Answered

Trueplay won't complete

• 14 May 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a brand new Arc.  While trying to set up Trueplay, most times I can complete the sitting portion, but have yet to be able to set up the walking portion.  Indicates there is too much noise.  There is no noise - AC is off, all appliances are off, my dog is in the other room, etc.  Two of us have tried to do it - one barefoot, the other wearing socks.  We’ve walked the room, we’ve stood still in front of the speaker (less than 3ft away), etc.  We are moving the iPhone slower than in the video and walking slower.  iPhone 13Pro without a case.  Have blown out the iPhone mic with air to clean it.  Have rebooted phone and reset speaker. The room is large and has a high ceiling and is mostly tile floor.  The representative yesterday could only tell me to move the phone slower - which again is being moved slower than in the video.  Today we even tried just standing in front of the speaker without moving the phone and it stopped the echoing because there wasn’t enough vertical movement.  Tried to stand there and just move the phone slowly and still did not complete.  Today there is no one there to chat with, even though it says 24/7 availability.

I bought the Sonos for the room mapping, but it appears it can’t handle the room.

Any suggestions?  

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 14 May 2023, 15:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Which mic did you clean? 

I don’t believe it uses the ‘voice’ mic at the bottom of the iPhone, but instead the ‘ambient’ mic which is much smaller, and near the camera. 

It’s also worth rebooting pretty much everything, the Arc, the iPhone, and the router. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

Room size and surfaces as you describe could also be an issue for TruePlay. Room is too large and/or echos (that you can’t hear) are being produced by the room topology (hard surfaces).

If the suggestions by @Airgetlam don’t resolve the issue follow the instructions in this link

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If nothing else try it again, when it fails submit a diagnostic and post the number it gives you.

The forum admins can sometimes escalate an issue to someone that can solve it.

Sometimes the answer is silly, like trying to TruePlay my Beam in a small bathroom (spare and had to go somewhere) that required me to open the shower curtain and move the phone around in the tub area.

Thanks, I have rebooted everything and no change.

I had asked the only agent I chatted with about echoes - and was told that wasn’t the problem as that’s how the Trueplay works…..so at that point I felt I knew more than they did - especially when the only suggestion I got was “move slower”.

It’s complicated by me not owning an iPhone, so I have to ask a neighbor to come over.  She talks on her phone everyday with her daughters, so didn’t really consider the mics to be an issue.  But we cleaned them again (including the smaller mic) and nothing changed.

I’ll try to speak with someone on phone tomorrow for some help, but if no solution can be reached, I’ll just return it.

Thank you all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does the speaker sound so bad without Trueplay? Sometimes, folk have said that Trueplay makes the sound worse rather than better. 
There are still bass/treble adjustments that you can make. 

Userlevel 7

Try using someone else’s phone. There are a lot of factors to consider about the condition of the phone you are using.