Answered

Trueplay noise error update 14.18

• 24 October 2022
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I am observing a trueplay tuning error after the latest update 14.18.

In the Living Room I have Beam (Gen1), Two Play 1 & Sub (Gen 2). But I couldn't succeed in doing it. I tried a number of times but the process stops in the first step while testing the tone sound for left right balancing. This process stops everytime at the same moment just before finishing it,  gives a noise error message. I am sure there is no noise and room is as quiet as it can be possible.

In my bedroom I have two play-5 which were successfully re-tuned for trueplay after the update but the living room 5.1 system is not getting tuned. If the iPad has any issues it should not have to be worked in another room stereo system.

I have factory resetted each speaker in the living room, reinstalled the app on the ipad, removed case of iPad, tried to tune at different times and what not! But nothing has helped me. I have also disabled bluetooth of iPad, other devices on network, light etc after discussing with Sonos support but nothing helped me yet.

Hoping soon I find working solution. . .  !

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 October 2022, 16:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bnilesh 

Thanks for your post!

It may help to check there’s no fluff stuck in the iPad’s microphone recess. I also recommend rebooting the iPad to ensure no other apps are running that might interfere, or to try other controller device, if that’s an option. Ensuring that you do not shift your grip on the device while tuning may also improve matters.

Rebooting the Play:5s may also help, but resetting them would have achieved the same thing. It’s worth a try, however.

I highly recommend that you do not factory reset any devices going forward.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Corry,

Thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that I tried rebooting iPad too. In the first test of trueplay tuning for 5.1 system, one is supposed to keep iPad vertical at eye level. I was bit frustrated after lot of tries so I doubted about my gripping...though I had done trueplay tuning in past. I kept iPad flat on surface just to ensure no gripping issues there but alas same result. I only have one iPad and other all devices are android based.

BTW in living room Play1's are surround along with SUB and Beam. I also tried to rebooting all devices in the room multiple times apart from factory resetting once.

I’m still getting this error.  Same as the OP, iPad is only used for Trueplay.  All background apps are stopped, no fuzz in the microphone, have tried turning the iPad upside down and on its side.  I’ve used it to Trueplay before, it’s just not acting like it always did.  Strange.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bnilesh & @jgatie 

I can only recommend you both get in touch with our technical support team to document the issue and “get the ball rolling” on an investigation. There do seem to be a few users reporting this and I have reported it up the chain myself, but a few cases with documented diagnostics will help a lot.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

After discussing with support team I gave a try to tune trueplay without surround i.e. Beam+SUB. I did succeeded in it. But when I add surrounds I am supposed to do it again where earlier problem still persists. Seems need to be patient still this issue is resolved in the upcoming update.

Badge

...Hi, in my bedroom (5 x 4 meters) i have Sonos ARC, two Sonos One and Sub (gen3) ... i have the same problem, after updating to version 4.18 i am unable to perform trueplay a due to too noisy environment (which did not happen in the past) ... i confirm that the new revision is better for dialogue and very good for surround and bass (now both well present) ... an upgrade would be appropriate to better manage trueplay volume ... please provide ... thank you ...

FYI @Corry P, the update from today fixed this issue for me.  Arc/Sub/surrounds are now Trueplay’d and sound excellent. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@jgatie Do you mean update 14.19 ?

I have same problem still with that update. I tried it thrice just now.

@jgatieDo you mean update 14.19 ?

Yes, 14.19.  I had to update both the Sonos hardware and the iPad app.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@jgatieDo you mean update 14.19 ?

Yes, 14.19.  I had to update both the Sonos hardware and the iPad app.

Even with sonos hardware & app update I am having problem. Can you explain in detail what exactly you did ? What are your surround speakers ? I am having PLAY-1 as surround along with Beam & Sub.

Even with sonos hardware & app update I am having problem. Can you explain in detail what exactly you did ? What are your surround speakers ? I am having PLAY-1 as surround along with Beam & Sub.

I have an Arc, Sub Gen 3, and One SL’s as surrounds.  The TV is a Samsung 75” Q8F (SAMSUNG QN75Q8FNBFXZA).  The iDevice is the iPad 9th Gen.  Before it would never get past the initial Trueplay in the seated position.  The circles would never coalesce and it would tell me to lower the noise.  After the update, Trueplay was successful. 

Badge

...I continue to have the same problem even after this last update (14.19)... the update does not concern the trueplay problem that occurs in smaller environments, I think they still need to be investigated to intervene, hopefully well...😏...

I’m curious as to what Sonos told you, when you submitted a diagnostic and called in to their support folks?

Badge

...I haven't contacted support, I think it's useless, staff capable of indicating trivial solutions would answer...I think it's more useful to report it here on the forum and wait for the sound engineers to intervene...at least I hope...

...I haven't contacted support, I think it's useless, staff capable of indicating trivial solutions would answer...I think it's more useful to report it here on the forum and wait for the sound engineers to intervene...at least I hope...

That’s exactly the purpose of submitting the diagnostic, so the engineers can get data on why your system is failing like it is.  

And of course, whether the Sonos CS person you speak to is ‘competent’ or not, at least they have the ability to look at the hard data in a diagnostic, something that we are not allowed to do. And it could be something they’re easily able to identify, that we’re not thinking about….or, as jgatie suggests, they can pass on the hard data to the development team. 

Badge

...Airgetlam, i wanted to take your advice...here is the trivial answer from sonos support after pointing out the Trueplay noise error problem: "I double-checked with a superior about it and I want to let you know that in order to successfully run the Trueplay setup, you will have to have the phone without the protective cover on, rotated with the microphone up and slowly walk around the room also moving it up and down, left and right"...this confirms your hypothesis regarding Sonos support...however, I requested to indicate to the development team the problem ... let's hope for the best ...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Coincidence or not but out of sheer frustration after trying to trueplay a surround setup I tried once again with the silicone cover of the phone intact and everything now worked as it had previously!   Very odd …

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

This is really shameful to see SONOS not coming out with solution till date for this problem. Earlier I was unable to tune true play for my living room (Beam + SUB + Two Play 1). Now it’s not working for my Two PLAY-5 in bedroom. The irritating misleading noise error interrupts the process. Now I am playing my both rooms system without true play.

SONOS I didn’t expected such a poor support from you!

Coincidence or not but out of sheer frustration after trying to trueplay a surround setup I tried once again with the silicone cover of the phone intact and everything now worked as it had previously!   Very odd …

This is curious and suggests some sort of audio noise or RF interference is conducted through the phone’s case. You could experiment with this by attempting to start Trueplay in a distant room. Obviously, you will not be able to complete the process, but you may be able to verify that the “noise” issue is related to the phone’s physical location. Another, perhaps silly possibility, might be creaky joints in your hand.

Install a sound analyzer App and view the noise spectrum in a “quiet” room. Is there any difference between the SONOS location and other locations? Are there any peaks at odd frequencies? Are there any differences with respect to time of day? You could investigate my “creaky joints” speculation by comparing hand held and sitting on a table spectrums.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think but am not sure but if the search is conducted initially by tapping the browse symbol, selecting a streaming account and then searching using the magnifying symbol, the results are found FOR ALL steaming services far quicker than using the magnifying glass symbol alone.

I’ve only previously used the magnifying symbol to search which previously was pretty much instantaneous.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @bnilesh & @jgatie 

I can only recommend you both get in touch with our technical support team to document the issue and “get the ball rolling” on an investigation. There do seem to be a few users reporting this and I have reported it up the chain myself, but a few cases with documented diagnostics will help a lot.

Contacted technical support team many times. Submitted diagnostic reports. Still its unresolved. Moreover its not even working with my two PLAY-5 setup. How much we are supposed to wait ?

Another work around to try. Cases sometimes interfere with microphone calibration. This is why removal is recommended. It is possible that “noise” is picked up by your body and transferred to the phone through your hands. Installing the case insulates your body from the phone. Rather than installing a case, try wearing a glove as you hold the phone. The glove will insulate the phone from your body, but will not interfere with microphone operation.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Another work around to try. Cases sometimes interfere with microphone calibration. This is why removal is recommended. It is possible that “noise” is picked up by your body and transferred to the phone through your hands. Installing the case insulates your body from the phone. Rather than installing a case, try wearing a glove as you hold the phone. The glove will insulate the phone from your body, but will not interfere with microphone operation.

Thanks! Tried many things as given below :

1. Removing ipad case.
  2. Installing ipad case.
  3. switched of bluetooth of ipad.
  4. switched off tubelights.
  5. Closed all doors and windows.
  6. Factory reset to all sonos products.
  7. Restated Wifi router.
  8. Finest care for avoiding any kind of noise, woke early morning, slept late evening for insuring lowest ambient noise, removed footwear, jacket and what not.

Unfortunately nothing has helped me. I am waiting for the solution from last 2-3 months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @bnilesh 

Hi @bnilesh & @jgatie 

Contacted technical support team many times. Submitted diagnostic reports. Still its unresolved. Moreover its not even working with my two PLAY-5 setup. How much we are supposed to wait ?

Much as I’d love to be able to, I can’t give you a time frame on this.