Answered

Trouble connecting Synology NAS to Sonos

• 4 June 2023
  • 4 replies

When I follow instructions to add Synology NAS to Sonos App, I never get the ability to click the “next” Button. I tried a few variations of the path/computer name/share name, and even copied and pasted the quick connect ID, but the Next button stays dead and unclickable. 

What am I doing wrong? Can someone share a specific example of how the path/computername/sharename should read? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 June 2023, 15:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Perhaps see the solution in this earlier thread from @sjw 

Thanks - I did see that one earlier, but I have S2 - it’s brand new, and I’m not even getting to a point where I can get any “access denied” messaging. I can’t even enter the information of my synology.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @newsdede 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Here’s an example entry from my own system:

In my case, it’s to a Raspberry Pi, so there’s a longer path as compared to the usual NAS setup, which would usually be along the lines of //NAS_Server/music_folder.

I recommend you add a share to Sonos from a Sonos app running on a computer if you continue to have trouble. Please do so by browsing Network rather by using any mapped network drives.

If you continue to have problems, however, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I am currently trying to find out why the path-entry screen is different, but have been reliably informed that it doesn’t matter if you use forward-slashes (/) or backslashes (\) - either will be accepted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi newsdede,

Have you considered using Plex? When I first added a Synology NAS (220sj) a couple of years ago, I initially tried going the same route that you are - treating it as a Media Server. I eventually succeeded but wasn't happy with the interface. After reading a number of forum posts, I created a free Plex account, connected the NAS music folder and added Plex as a music service via the Sonos controller (Settings > Services & Voice > Add a Service). But for a few minor early glitches, it has worked flawlessly and the album art is perfection (and easily managed via a browser while logged into your Plex account). Something to consider if you haven't looked into it.