Skip to main content

Tidal on Sonos

• 24 October 2023
  • 6 replies

As I understand, playing Tidal HiFi Plus through the Sonos app gives us max CD quality audio, up to 16-bit, 44.1 kH.

But, when using the Tidal App on a Samsung Smart TV connected to a Sonos Amp over HDMI, what audio quality can then be passed through?

Same question when having Tidal App on an Apple TV 4k with HDMI to the same Samsung TV and then HDMI to a Sonos Amp. With Tidal HiFi Plus, what quality can be passed through?

Thank you.

Per Dahlin

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The max audio quality that Sonos supports is 24/48 - but it depends on what your TV/App can send to the connected soundbar or Amp. I have Amazon Music Unlimited and that plays upto 24/48 on Sonos but my Amazon Music App / LG TV will only allow pass-through of 16 bit audio in my living room but the TV in my bedroom supports 24 bit audio.

Just to also quickly add - I don’t personally hear any difference between the two different outputs in my Home. 

Thank you very much, will try to find out what is actually passed through my TV.

Best regards

Per Dahlin

Thank you very much, will try to find out what is actually passed through my TV.

Best regards

Per Dahlin

FWIW The Amazon Music App (if you have that) shows the TV audio output quality and track quality (see screenshot examples attached) - you do have to enable the TV display in the App settings.

I guess it needs  a ‘display’ of the bitrate to let many listeners know what they’re listening too.. I could never tell the difference just by listening - not even in some A/B testing.

These16/44 and 24/48 bitrates seem to sound the same to my ears, especially in a room/Home environment.

Maybe headphones might help somewhat🤔?, but certainly in my own case, it’s not worth the bother/bandwidth going beyond CD quality.

In fact this is new to me (attached) … it shows my LG C9 TV/Arc HT playing at 24/96, but I suspect that is perhaps a bug in the Amazon Music software? I’m fairly sure the Arc only supports upto 24/48 audio quality🤔?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
My Samsung QE75QN900A will Pass-Through anything if connected over HDMI eARC. Arc, Arc SL and Beam products support this, but Sonos Amp doesn't and I end up with PCM Stereo in Lossless CD quality. But, - as you also pointed out - it sounds just fine with Sonos Amp and Dali Speakers when playing/streaming music.

Thank you again..