Tidal interruptions

• 1 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi Team

I am in the process of moving from Spotify to Tidal. Using a Connect with my HiFi system, it really makes a difference in terms of quality. I am now facing the following issues (which I also had with Spotify or Sonos Radio but not in this frequency): 

When I play sound on just one speaker, usually it works fine. When I group all my speakers (3x Play:1, 1x Play:5, 1x Connect), the sound interrupts every now and then (at least 1x/song). Not on all speakers simultaneously, but just on one or two speakers. It’s especially bad when I skip to the next track, then the initial 2-3 seconds are played, then on one or two speakers the sound drops for 5-10 seconds and comes back again. It doesn’t really happen that much when I play through an Album or Playlist without skipping to the next song manually. Like if there is insufficient buffer if I skip to next track ‘unexpected’ for the Sonos. 

The issue can’t be my connection speed - I am getting more than 900Mbps on LAN and more than 70Mbps on WiFi. I changed from Wireless set-up to SonosNet (connecting the Connect with my LAN) - no difference. Even the Connect interrupted, which is weird considering it’s connected to LAN. I also rebooted everything (disconnecting from power, then start again with Router, etc.) - no help. I changed Wifi channels for my Wifi and SonosNet - again no impact. 

Any ideas? I submitted the Diagnostic report No. 1885995502. 

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

OK I tested a bit more, and it seems the issue mostly disappears if I only play 4 of the 5 components. It doesn’t really matter if I remove the Connect or a Play:1 from the group - in both situations, the interruptions didn’t show up. Could it be that streaming Tidal HiFi to 5 Sonos components at once is too much? But why, considering the WiFi network is sufficient? Again, I tested this with SonosNet and my own WiFi. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Funkaholic.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, it shows a sync error that indicates audio dropouts and symptoms indicative of interference has been detected on one or more Sonos components running on the Wifi. 

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference, are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet Sonos system requirements?

You also may check this article for more information on how Tidal and Sonos works.

If the service bitrate is high enough, it can cause sync errors on some (or all) of the members in a large group because the group coordinator's wireless card cannot accommodate a high bitrate multiplied by the number of grouped players.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report so I can check the system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how that goes.