Skip to main content

I have been struggling for some time to use this disastrous update to the Sonos App (Date typed 20 July 2024). It was installed on my phone and tablet automatically without any warnings nor ability to reload the old, working, app.

The app ceased to work properly on my Android tablet and phone:

• No playlists
  • No ability to create a queue
  • Occasionally crashes
  • Loses my system every couple odf days
  • Regularly loses my library of NAS stored MP3s regularly and requires the app to be deleted and reinstalled and much else besides...

A total disaster. I have thousands of pounds invested in my collection of MP3s and now unable to reliably access them and my playlists created over many years invisible to the new app.

I can still make the system work using my windows desktop PC (I have refused to update that app.) But this is very inconvenient and a way of working I didn't sign up for it nor pay thousands of pounds for the speakers to only work this way.

Now since 19 July 2024 the app on Android starts then promptly crashes so now even the limited functionality I previously had. The Android OS puts up a message saying there is a bg in the app and I must wait for sonos to issue a new update.

What a shambles from a supposedly upmarket company. Sonos seem incapable of providing the services we have paid al lot of money for and are seemingly not doing much to sort it out.

I am disgusted with sonos and want to know when this will be fixed and how will they convince us they won’t do this again? Or should I just find the nearest waste recycling plant, dump my speakers and start again?

Hi @SteveFMale, here’s the story on the bug in the Android app …

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I only play local library music so no go.

But I have tried the sonos web app on my Samsung Tab S9 FE and the ever helpful sonos implementation just tells me my screen size isn’t supported and helpfully suggests I download the App!!!

I get the same message when I try to use the sonos web app on my Google Pixel 7 Pro phone.

Maybe someone at sonos has a warped sense of humour?

Have an iphone and same thing happened.  Didn’t want you to feel alone!  System actually worked normally the past few weeks after the disastrous app change in May.  Guess it was too good to last!

Hi AK28,

A friend in need is a friend in deed, thanks for the response.

What beats me is how a big corporation, like sonos, can not only let this happen, but not to quickly fix it. The Microsoft/Cloudstrike fiasco on Friday was fixed in hours, sonos still hasn't fixed things in weeks going on months. The most obvious solution is to restore the previous version to get all customers back to running, then sonos engineers could sort out the problems and when fully tested reissue the new version.

It all shows sonos is being run by a bunch of executives whose ineptness is only matched by their arrogance. They are treating us long suffering customers appallingly, abandoning us while they sort out their mistakes at a leisurely pace to suit them. 

Why not reissue the old app?

Where is sonos customer service? Do they even exist? Surely with such catastrophic performance they should be emailigly customers with assurances of there commitment to solving all problems along with a timescale when the app will be fixed to stop crashing. Then a timed plan when functionality will be restored should be sent to customers.

I was going to buy a sonos arc soundbar but then all this happened so no way now. Bose must be a better option. 

I hope these comments get back to sonos executives and they do something, anything! Wake up and do your job!

Hi AK28,

A friend in need is a friend in deed, thanks for the response.

What beats me is how a big corporation, like sonos, can not only let this happen, but not to quickly fix it. The Microsoft/Cloudstrike fiasco on Friday was fixed in hours, sonos still hasn't fixed things in weeks going on months. The most obvious solution is to restore the previous version to get all customers back to running, then sonos engineers could sort out the problems and when fully tested reissue the new version.

It all shows sonos is being run by a bunch of executives whose ineptness is only matched by their arrogance. They are treating us long suffering customers appallingly, abandoning us while they sort out their mistakes at a leisurely pace to suit them. 

Why not reissue the old app?

Where is sonos customer service? Do they even exist? Surely with such catastrophic performance they should be emailigly customers with assurances of there commitment to solving all problems along with a timescale when the app will be fixed to stop crashing. Then a timed plan when functionality will be restored should be sent to customers.

I was going to buy a sonos arc soundbar but then all this happened so no way now. Bose must be a better option. 

I hope these comments get back to sonos executives and they do something, anything! Wake up and do your job!

Sonos has been (quite) clear on this forum about its timescales for bringing features back, even if dates have shifted.

Plus this from press last week:

Sonos is reintroducing some basic features to its new app next week, including the ability to configure local music libraries. These functions were already in Sonos' old app, but were missing in the new mobile application that the audio manufacturer released in May.

Sonos will release the update for its new app on July 22, the manufacturer tells Tweakers. The biggest changes are in support for local music libraries. For example, the 'settings and configuration' of such libraries are now available via the mobile app. It is now also possible to search local music libraries in the app.

The July 22 update also includes improvements to line-in autoplay, compression settings, settings accessibility, firmware update notifications and volume settings. In addition, the Sonos Amp and Port can now be configured in mono and stereo and the 'Forgot System' option has been added to the Android app.

Some other functions that are currently missing from the new Sonos app will follow in August. For example, in early August, users will be able to downgrade their devices from S2 to S1 again and keep offline devices. At the end of August it will be possible to adjust playlists in the Sonos app and there will be an editing function for queues.”

Hi Rhonny

Many thanks for this. I never received any messages from sonos along the lines you indicate. However it must be good news of new app release tomorrow which will fix some of the issues. Do you know if the current problem with the app on Android, where it just starts then crashes, will be fixed?

While extremely welcome the release tomorrow does not explain why sonos executives allowed a new version of the app to be released with much reduced functionality in the first place. The fact that the new app was installed without any warnings or an option to skip the update until full functionality was available indicates the ineptness and arrogance I mentioned.

Still, us long suffering customers of sonos must be pleased that a new release is imminent.

However it must be good news of new app release tomorrow which will fix some of the issues. Do you know if the current problem with the app on Android, where it just starts then crashes, will be fixed?

No idea, but given it was last week’s firmware that screwed Android devices up, and that firmware is usually updated AFTER an app update, one can only speculate as to whether the updated app alongside the previously updated firmware will provide resolution.. 

Thanks Rhonny, I guess we wait and see.

There are plenty of big questions that SONOS refuse to reply on.

#1 How will they compensate, is my #1

#2 will have to be what should normally be #1, why are they not fixing this with a hell of a lot more urge ? Problem is, they started by messing up massively, then they continued on messing up big and big and big and bigger and bigger and more and more, well you get the picture.

#3 How is is even possible to mess up even more, I mean, at this point it feels like some High-school kids are running it all, or maybe that would have been better.... Making updates that are more or less forced upon its users, and then the update completely tanks and go down like the Titanic. We are way more than just sick and tired of NOT being able to use the app and system by the standards we originally invested in it for. And the error messages, or even lack of, yeah, sick and tired og that too.

#edit. I also see that the pictures I attach won't be attached here anyway, so way to go having a feature here that also doesn't work. Kind of poetic in a way.

How would you calculate the recompense due to you?

Edit: you touch the image icon to attach images. 

How would you calculate the recompense due to you?

The maths on that is ofc complex, not like I’m gonna throw out figures on anything like that.
The cheapest way would probably be to compensate registred users/buyers in a user healthy way with vouchers for future purchase or something. They would most definetly go bankrupt if they had to pay compensation to all users, but hey, that is what will happen, most likely, (the pay part), with the class action lawsuit(s).
Every persons situation is different, but personally I have sent them an email asking for them to completely reimburse me and take back all the equipment.
My #1 reason for investing in SONOS back in 2014 or so, was the ability to use the app on Wifi, with no need for internet, teamed up with the ability to stream/play my local library with ease, which I have collected since the early 90’s. That library is so big that I have it sectioend to different discs to avoid hitting problems like upper limits of files per conections etc.
And the biggest reason to mention compensation is how they utterly seems to ignore common sense in how to handle the problems they created. They just create more or new problems while at the same time fixing nothing at all.

Then again, that’s just me (‘’,)

What would you suggest ???

I wouldn’t suggest anything. It’s really frustrating for those affected, but it’s not possible to put any figure on it as there is no specific damage. Sonos would also argue they are demonstrably working towards remedies which any court would take into account, given updates have been put in place on a weekly or bi-weekly basis since the start when they recognised the app update hadn’t worked, with the next major app update due tomorrow (22nd). Which is why no lawyer in the land will take this on.

I wish you luck in your ‘claim’ to Sonos, but they will neither take back your equipment, nor reimburse you. 

I wouldn’t suggest anything. It’s really frustrating for those affected, but it’s not possible to put any figure on it as there is no specific damage. Sonos would also argue they are demonstrably working towards remedies which any court would take into account, given updates have been put in place on a weekly or bi-weekly basis since the start when they recognised the app update hadn’t worked, with the next major app update due tomorrow (22nd). Which is why no lawyer in the land will take this on.

I wish you luck in your ‘claim’ to Sonos, but they will neither take back your equipment, nor reimburse you. 

Well I guess the laws protecting the consumer is different from country to country, but here in Norway we are normally well protected.
Act relating to consumer purchases"
Since the current system I have is less than 5 years old, it falls under that. If the product is expected to last 5 years or more, then I should be a ok, but I’ll still welcome your wish of luck =)

I had the same issue.  Best thing to do is to uninstall the app then search for a site to download Sonos APK file called 16.1.  Download and install and change settings to prevent automatic updates.

Mine is now consequently running perfectly as it did before the update to the latest version.

Well, the 22 July update has landed and I’ve loaded it onto my android tablet and we seem to be back to where we were after the initial disastrous initial “update” or should that be “downdate”? That is: the app now opens but not much else.

The same problems remain:

• No playlists
  • Occasionally crashes (Not yet but only day 1)
  • Loses my system every couple of days (Again not yet but only day 1)
  • Regularly loses my library of NAS stored MP3s and requires the app to be deleted. (Again not yet but only day 1)

So, for me at least, maybe, the app is now more stable (To Be Determined) but still major and for me critical functionality still not in place.

Also the stony silence from sonos executives and customer service (is service the right word?) persists. They really are an arrogant bunch who by their actions have destroyed their reputation for any technical competence. This is a great shame as up until this fiasco I thought the company was great.  

Well, the 22 July update has landed and I’ve loaded it onto my android tablet and we seem to be back to where we were after the initial disastrous initial “update” or should that be “downdate”? That is: the app now opens but not much else.

• No playlists
  • Regularly loses my library of NAS stored MP3s and requires the app to be deleted. (Again not yet but only day 1)

So, for me at least, maybe, the app is now more stable (To Be Determined) but still major and for me critical functionality still not in place.

Also the stony silence from sonos executives and customer service (is service the right word?) persists. They really are an arrogant bunch who by their actions have destroyed their reputation for any technical competence. This is a great shame as up until this fiasco I thought the company was great.  

Can you show a screengrab of the app when you select Music Library?  Does it show Imported Playlists as an option?

• No playlists

They have stated Playlists are coming soon, and Queue Management is being added late August. 

The Sonos website I look at states the following which implies that you can “see” your local music library but I am interested if you can, therefore see the playslists withing that library (iTunes in my case).

Which website do you use Rhonny that tells you about the late August update details?

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jul 22, 2024. See release notes.

• Added setup, configuration, and search for local Music Library
  • Improved account settings for Sonos Pro subscribers
  • Improved line-in autoplay and compression settings
  • Improved accessibility in Settings
  • Improved notification for player firmware updates
  • Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level
  • Amp/Port can be configured for Stereo or Mono output in Android
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp

Coming soon

• Playlist editing
  • Downgrade from S2 to S1
  • Persistence of offline devices
  • Additional configuration settings

Hi Snakes

Using the 22 July update on my android phone (Google Pixel 7 Pro) the sonos app seems to think the WiFi is not connected which is definitely not the case. So go figure: another sonos IT triumph. I can’t see any way forward on this one at the moment, but I’ll try deleting the newly installed app and reinstalling it when I have regained the will to live.

On my android tablet {Samsung Tab S9 FE) I can see my NAS based local library and select albums and tracks but no playlists.There seems no music Queue functionality neither which is a real pain. On the home screen the “Recently Played” panel doesn’t display, neither does the “Sonos Favourites” albeit both are selected on the Edit Home Screen. The edit Home Screen functionality (moving the order of home screen display and deleting etc) is also missing. 

I can only access my playlists via the sonos Windows App which has continued to work well through all this chaos. I hope the sonos IT guys don’t touch it until they sort out the mess they’ve caused on the android app.

I’m afraid I haven’t the time to investigate all the shortcomings of the 22 July update so this is undoubtedly not all the problems still evident on the 22 July update.

I hope this helps.

@Snakes 

From Dutch audio publication Tweakers last week:

“Sonos will release the update for its new app on July 22, the manufacturer tells Tweakers. The biggest changes are in support for local music libraries. For example, the 'settings and configuration' of such libraries are now available via the mobile app. It is now also possible to search local music libraries in the app.

The July 22 update also includes improvements to line-in autoplay, compression settings, settings accessibility, firmware update notifications and volume settings. In addition, the Sonos Amp and Port can now be configured in mono and stereo and the 'Forgot System' option has been added to the Android app.

Some other functions that are currently missing from the new Sonos app will follow in August. For example, in early August, users will be able to downgrade their devices from S2 to S1 again and keep offline devices. At the end of August it will be possible to adjust playlists in the Sonos app and there will be an editing function for queues.”

After two days the 22 July update seems much more stable (I hope that doesn’t jinx me) although still sadly missing a lot of the functionality I rely on and was in the original app. 

I have some sympathy for Mr Ninja about compensation but I for one will not =be holding my breath. A company who can permit this fiasco to occur and not respond more quickly is hardly a customer focused organisation. Sonos are brilliant at designing speakers, but on IT and customer relations they seem to have no idea. I would think their existing customer base will not buy any further kit and attracting new customers will be made much more difficult. I for one wouldn’t be surprised to see the company’s annual results hit badly, and they become a takeover target, hopefully by a new management who know what they are doing. 

The apps on my Android and Laptop have ceased to function.  I’ve reinstalled both to no effect.  The queue for phone support in Australia is 30 minutes (closing in five minutes). The update on my Android is Version 80.05.06-release+20240717.cbccdb2

The apps on my Android and Laptop have ceased to function.  I’ve reinstalled both to no effect.  The queue for phone support in Australia is 30 minutes (closing in five minutes). The update on my Android is Version 80.05.06-release+20240717.cbccdb2

What happens when you try opening them?

Hi Jack

The 22 July update does seem more stable to date though only after 2 days, but so far so good. I’d suggest a visit to the Android Play Store and find the sonos app. It should say you can update so hit that button and get the 22 July update, which I think is version 80.05.06 although released on 22 July 2024. If not simply delete your current version of the sonos app and install new version of the app as normal.

Still loads of functionality missing but at least it runs, so far, doesn’t keep crashing and I can now play tracks from my NAS local library.

I hope this helps.

Rebooted the router and modem and that seems to have fixed most of the problem.