Skip to main content
Question

The "I can't add my Ikea Symfonisk since the new app was released" thread

It seems like it's time to try to collect at much info as possible on not being able to add  Ikea symphonisk’s since the last update.

In my case, I bought some Symphonisk picture frames. Via ethernet and or wifi, you can get to the very last step, verify audio pin and then you are told that there was an issue adding the product to your system no matter what route you take, manual pin verification, audio pin verification, same outcome.

For science I returned the first set and got another set. Same exact issue. 

For science one more time, I returned those and tried it again, same exact issue. 

I was able to successfully add a sub mini which is great, but pointless at this point. 

This was attempted with both an ios and and an android device on the latest release for both platforms.

Attempting to use the 16.1 app on android to try to add these speakers does not work either. Not because it doesn’t work but because the app refuses to let you add anything IF you are not running the latest app. Try to add a new device and it will tell you you're not on the latest app, block the internet connection and try to add and you still can't add anything because the app can't check to make sure it's the latest version. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It seems like it's time to try to collect at much info as possible on not being able to add  Ikea symphonisk’s since the last update.

In my case, I bought some Symphonisk picture frames. Via ethernet and or wifi, you can get to the very last step, verify audio pin and then you are told that there was an issue adding the product to your system no matter what route you take, manual pin verification, audio pin verification, same outcome.

For science I returned the first set and got another set. Same exact issue. 

For science one more time, I returned those and tried it again, same exact issue. 

I was able to successfully add a sub mini which is great, but pointless at this point. 

This was attempted with both an ios and and an android device on the latest release for both platforms.

Attempting to use the 16.1 app on android to try to add these speakers does not work either. Not because it doesn’t work but because the app refuses to let you add anything IF you are not running the latest app. Try to add a new device and it will tell you you're not on the latest app, block the internet connection and try to add and you still can't add anything because the app can't check to make sure it's the latest version. 

I wonder what IKEA think of the new app and how it will impact their business and the relationship with Sonos.

Piling on here.  Same issues as the original post.  Have tried on iOS and on Android, connected to wifi and connected via Ethernet.  I’ve also tried on an older Android device that has an older version of the Sonos S2 app, but am forced to update the app before I can take most actions.

Also, the remove of the home screen widget was another huge miss for Sonos.  

I am seeing the same issue. Yesterday I bought 2 new IKEA Symfonisk Bookshelf. I was not able to add any of them to my existing system where I already have a working Arc. I tried from two different android devices and one iPad. Tried resetting the WiFi, direct connection to the router, 5GHz, and 2.4 GHz network. Even tried using a hotspot from my phone. I

The Symphoniks devices both are responding. Playing an audio pin, but the app cannot finish the "Finalizing Connection..." step. I also tried entering the pin manually. I chatted with the support. They asked me to go through the same steps to no effect. Then I sent them the debugging information through the app and they said that in there they even can't see that I'm trying to add devices.

Userlevel 1

Here to also say that I bought two brand new IKEA bookshelf symfonisk speakers and I experience the same exact outcome; it plays the chime but failed on the last step!

Are there any workarounds right now for this?  It seems pretty bad at the moment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Maybe the idea is that you should trash the ikea speakers and buy the new Sonos 500 dollar headphones instead? 

Quite frankly, Sonos deserves to go bankrupt over this fiasco.

My Frame staggered through a firmware update & still works (although there was no indication the update was completed successfully).  Atrocious disregard for users and their equipment. 

Userlevel 1

Thinking back, I was very skeptical about Sonos in general due to the reason they were 100% relying on Sonos to get them working… Things were working so well, I just kept buying more speakers and stopped worrying about that...

At this point, they should just open source everything just so we can use them!

Userlevel 1

I have spent some time trying to come up with something to give to sonos so that they could help.

SO, for science again, I connected the symfonisk picture frames to ethernet, found their ip addresses and then from a computer navigated to the speaker at :

http://yourspeakersipaddres:1400/status/zp

I noticed that these all have a firmware version of

62.1-84037-manufacturing

I returned these and got another set, same firmware version and same issue. 

Since this version seems to be a bit dated, I am wondering if the solution is just for sonos to allow you to upgrade devices it can detect prior to trying to add it to the system. All the other devices are on more recent firmware.

Can someone else verify they see the same version on your ikea devices that you can’t complete setup with?

Userlevel 1

I spoke with Sonos and opened a ticket.  Basically the new app can't add speakers that contain an older firmware.  They usually need to be connected in order to setup initially, but if they are new products and can't connect, they are basically useless until they fix the issue.  They said today they may be pushing out an update which should fix this issue... I'll report back if I hear anything.

I spoke with Sonos and opened a ticket.  Basically the new app can't add speakers that contain an older firmware.  They usually need to be connected in order to setup initially, but if they are new products and can't connect, they are basically useless until they fix the issue.  They said today they may be pushing out an update which should fix this issue... I'll report back if I hear anything.

Yeah they’ve promised an app update today, hopefully they include a fix for this. I’m having a similar issue with a Roam I haven’t powered on in a long time, won’t update and connect to my system, I think it’s related to this.

Userlevel 1

I'm wondering how they can save face here.  Maybe give us all headphones for half off or something. 

Sonos App update just dropped with fixes for many of the add product issues. Hopefully fixes this issue

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

I installed the update. This time I was able to go a step further ..it set the network to the Bookshelves and immediately proceeded to update them. The update failed with error 1002. I followed the instructions to reboot the device. Then it said it added the device to the room I selected, but the device is not visible there. I factory reset the two bookshelves and tried again....the same result. Now I don't see any new devices to be add d, but also do not see the devices in my system. I should factory reset them again. 

This is getting very frustrating. Was anybody able to add their devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos App update just dropped with fixes for many of the add product issues. Hopefully fixes this issue

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

This could be the next catastrophe - when an update to the new update trashes the system.  Hands off! 

Userlevel 1

I installed the update. This time I was able to go a step further ..it set the network to the Bookshelves and immediately proceeded to update them. The update failed with error 1002. I followed the instructions to reboot the device. Then it said it added the device to the room I selected, but the device is not visible there. I factory reset the two bookshelves and tried again....the same result. Now I don't see any new devices to be add d, but also do not see the devices in my system. I should factory reset them again. 

This is getting very frustrating. Was anybody able to add their devices?

Same 1002 error here when trying to update.  The speaker got further past finalizing but it can't get the firmware updated on the bookshelf speaker...

Userlevel 2
Badge

App version 80.01.10 does not solve the problem of adding a IKEA Sonos Bookshelf to an existing system. For me, if anything, it seems to work even worse. After detecting the speaker it now fails without trying to connect to the speakers local network and playing those sounds as it did before.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had managed to get through the set up, up until it asks me to update the speaker and I get an instant error 1002, ive tried everything but it will not update. Nearly had my speaker for 3 weeks and yet to use it.

Hi - wanted to use my speaker and for some reason I was logged out. I updated the Sonos app just awhile ago. After I updated the Sonos software thinking that I would be able to connect, but it didn’t even detect my product. Is this issue the same as to everyone else here. The interface on the Sonos app seem to have changed (it has been awhile since I used my speakers tbh). 

very frustrating… I love the product but the app is kinda disappointing. 

Userlevel 1

Can also confirm. I can actually get the speakers connected to the network now, they show up as unregistered but now in an awesome regression, because they won't update(1002/1001 errors) the app randomly will now show an all-black full screen telling me I have devices I need to update and of course this fails, but there is no way to exit that screen, rendering the app useless for the stuff that does work. 

Send us some manual update procedure sonos..

Userlevel 1

Can also confirm. I can actually get the speakers connected to the network now, they show up as unregistered but now in an awesome regression, because they won't update(1002/1001 errors) the app randomly will now show an all-black full screen telling me I have devices I need to update and of course this fails, but there is no way to exit that screen, rendering the app useless for the stuff that does work. 

Send us some manual update procedure sonos..

Same here with my bookshelf.  You need to factory reset the speaker by holding play/pause while plugging in and wait for orange to blink.  Then I uninstall the app and reinstall in order to get the app back to working again with existing speakers and not stuck on an update popup! 

Guys, would just like to update that I took a leap of faith and contacted the customer support. It was fruitful cos I managed to resume my connection. So what they guided me to do was

1. Hard reset the speaker 
  2. close the app
  3. reinstall the app
  4. switch off the device and turn on after 30 secs
  5. set up new device

with that method I discovered the ikea Sonos speaker hardware has some updates and it was updated. Although it took a while but I managed to get it sorted out. 

hope this instructions above helps 

Userlevel 1

Guys, would just like to update that I took a leap of faith and contacted the customer support. It was fruitful cos I managed to resume my connection. So what they guided me to do was

1. Hard reset the speaker 
  2. close the app
  3. reinstall the app
  4. switch off the device and turn on after 30 secs
  5. set up new device

with that method I discovered the ikea Sonos speaker hardware has some updates and it was updated. Although it took a while but I managed to get it sorted out. 

hope this instructions above helps 

Still can't get it to work in the current state of things... When you reinstall the app, do you join existing or just choose to setup a speaker?  Has anyone else found a method to setup a new IKEA Bookshelf speaker? 

I’ve found the new app update fails at the same place for the same reason only faster 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Got it working! Read my post in this thread:

Userlevel 1

Update: someone on reddit mentioned that you could get them to update with the pc or mac sonos app. This is indeed the case. I was able to get one of the frames updated. When attempting to register it with the pc app it fails but I am going to factory reset it now that it has indeed updated. Will update shortly

Userlevel 1

Ok: using the latest version of the phone app(i had issues still with ios so I used an android phone) attempt to add your ikea speaker to your system. This should make it all the way to the room selection screen(I went wired).

as soon as you try to add it, it will ask for a firmware update and fail instantly. This is ok. 

You should now be able to update it from the sonos pc/mac app. Install that and join an existing system.

It should tell you that some things need to be updated. Let it do it. 

Factory default your speaker/s. Try to add them again. Note that this still will fail(I tried to add them to an existing room), and what happens now is basically the same, youll get a failure screen and a “added this device to whatever room” screen, except you will still see your device that says its unregistered, the sonos app still won't let you do anything with it BUT, if you use airplay, you should now see the device as some unnamed room or the name of a room you tried to put it in with a 1 next to it. 

and it at least lets you stream to it via airplay now. Not ideal but progress nonetheless..