Answered

The computer [name] refused to let Sonos connect to it

• 13 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor II
  • 2 replies

[Soap-box]

Every time the Sonos software is updated this happens. The fix is NEVER the same. After spending $2000 on speakers (that work great when the software works) its frustrating to have to do this again…. and again.

My Mac is on BigSur 11.0.1

I just updated my Sonos:
controller: 12.2.2 
Build: 61183220
Hardware version: 1.12.1.7-1.2

Everything 2 days ago was working fine. Now, the music library (which didnt change locations) will not allow me to add it (dont know why I have to do this on an upgrade anyway) so, while I CAN listen to Pandora, iTunes music is not permissible.

What have I done to attempt fix it?

1- Turned off firewall (norton 360) - [didnt help]
2- Uninstalled norton360 - [didnt help]
3- Gave Sonos full disk access permissions [didnt help]
4- Revisited Privacy and Security Settings, re-set them [didnt help]
5- re-installed Norton and re-associated permissions with app [didnt help]
6- Cussed a great deal as now the plesaure of listening to music has now pissed me off [didnt help]
7- removed and re-added the music library from scratch [You guessed it - didnt help]
8- re-started machine 2-3 times during this process, restarted the apps as permissions were changed and reset [Nada - didnt help]
9- Searched the internet [Didnt help]
10- Broke down, deflated and irritated with this crappy software (again) and am posting here pleaing for help or a refund on my speakers. At this point getting an amp and some B&O Speakers + Bluetooth adapter would be easier.

LAST DITCH EFFORT: - posted this message & Submitted Diagnostic Report - ID 1768667413

Please advise as to how to remedy this issue yet again. Then please, sit down with Product and Engineering and figure out a way to do these updates such that the settings can migrate without issues. This is truly painful. The speakers are awesome, the software…. well, my experience has been that its not awesome.

icon

Best answer by DBow 14 December 2020, 00:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

OK….

I FIXED IT….
Problem (for whatever reason) was the server name was incremented by 1 [computer name-x] was incorrect. So, the fix after wasting 2 hours of my life was this:

1- Go into Mac Settings for SHARING
2- File Sharing - make sure that Sonos can access (read/write) all files in music
3- Go into Media Sharing and under computer name, if you hit edit, make sure that the number displaying in the error box matches what is used in the computer name. My Sonos app said [computername-3] and in my Media sharing it was set to 4. so a change of the number fixed this.

4- Once you change the media number you need to lock the preferences and then quit Sonos and re-start it.

4- RE-RE-RE-Add your music library (Have I mentioned what a PITA this software is yet..?)
5- Once the library is re-added, it will index it and then (god willing) you can listen to music again.

I really dislike being FORCED to upgrade something for features I don't care about or wont use. This is a music system. All I wanna do is listen to music, so the good people at Sonos REALLY need to figure out how to make their warez work without wasting hours of my life like this once or twice a year. If these speakers didn't sound so damn good and cost so much, I would literally change to a simple amp+awsome speakers and a Bluetooth input. that never breaks. This is dumb.

I should really send Sonos a bill. I run InfoSec and IT for a living. I shouldnt have to do this on a weekend just to listen to a song. If I didn't have ADHD for my stuff working at home I wouldn't have wasted the time. I do hope that these steps for the fix help someone else.

TLDR:
Great Speakers, crappy software update process = PITA to keep working

Userlevel 1

UPDATE:
So, my fix worked YAY! then I closed the app (you know because I am a gluten for punishment). I then re-launched it. The VERY first thing the macOS Sonos 2 controller app did was name my mac [Computer Name +1] so I had to go re-re-fix that. Then it wouldnt connect. I then rebooted and it connected… YAY!

Oh… I celebrated too soon. The nightmare continues.

I re-create, re-set up and nothing will allow me to connect to it again. Even re-doing all of my steps above. This stuff just doesnt want to work. My phone couldnt connect, my iPad couldnt connect. Literally $2000 in speakers and nada… zip, zilch, zero sound (ever wonder why words that mean nothing always start with “Z”) I digress.

The *stuff* dont work

So, I give. I uninstall the Sonos 2 (Gold because its awesome version) and re-install on my ipad. The iPad immediately connects. I am now jamming. I do the same on my phone, BoooYa! now it magically works to.

My Mac… meh, it no workie. 

So, I finally said “F’IT” im done. It works. Not the way I want it to, but it works.

In the process of looking on the Sonos site, I managed to log in and see that I get a whopping 15% off this overprice kinda work speaker and software set if I upgrade. This made me wonder. The Sonos software 100% sucks. It does nothing a bluetooth JBL or $20 speaker at a 7/11 will do over bluetooth. No wifi, no fancy UI. Just connect and stream whatever you can play on your device. Its a Shame the Sonos software tries to be more than it needs to. While “Trueplay” and tuning are indeed cool and something i did when setting up my theater, its not necessary for 2 speakers in my office and sure not worth all the time I spend fixing this stuff with each software update.

Sonos - you should give everyone more than 15%. especially those of us that have a ton of your stuff. 

[Save Ferris]

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*