Skip to main content

Suddenly unable to play radio stations on my Sonos system - new app?

The main reason I own a Sonos system is to listen to US and Ireland radio stations, for music (bluegrass, folk etc) and current affairs (RTÉ). Suddenly a few days ago ALL of these have stopped playing, either via TuneIn or MyTuner. (They have never been available on Sonos Radio). I spent almost two hours with the online live help two days ago and she was unable to solve it, and seemed to be totally unaware of the issue previously. She suggested i would have to phone the helpline (which I avoided because of the 45 min wait) to see if it was a problem with my (relatively new) router. I looked through here and tried adding the station’s url to the TuneIn app but that didn’t work. I also deleted both apps and reinstalled - no joy.

Grant it, I’m using the old/original Play:1 and Play:5 models, but I don’;t think this is the issue?

Will I need to finally DITCH the whole system??

If so, what is the best alternative?

FUMING!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I have a similar problem since the new android App installed.  WDR (German station) is available https://mytuner-radio.com/radio/wdr-2-412538/ to listen to in the UK, but has stopped working in the Sonos App…   Thanks, Peter

Badge

Tried to get Talk Radio here in the uk had to re authorise tune in to Sonos but still nothing. I really don’t like Sonos and regret ever purchasing these expensive speakers what a waste of money. Tom in Aberdeenshire. 

There is a way around this issue. The following is for if you own an iphone:

As an alternative to using the Somos app to (not any more) play non-UK radio stations you can adopt the following different approach that bypasses the Sonos app:

1. Find an internet radio consolidator on the web via your iphone. There are many of these.
  2. Set your iphone to cast music sourced from the iphone directly to your Sonos (I have a Sonos 1). This involves pulling down the top right of the iphone screen to reveal an airplay button. Connect airplay with the Sonos 1 (you need bluetooth enabled)
  3. Play a non uk radio station on you iphone and it will play on the Sonos speaker

I don’t think this is a region issue - it’s a Sonos issue. 

I listen a lot to KEXP through MyTuner - everything fine until The Update. Now, KEXP (and RTE as previously mentioned) don’t play on Sonos. However, go to MyTuner in a browser window, and both play just fine, so there isn’t a problem with getting a feed, most likely with how Sonos processes it.

it could be something to do with the type of stream - the BBC broke Yamaha MusicCast last year by deprecating an old stream format.

Same problem here in Australia

All stations working fine yesterday (23rd July) , including all of Sonos stations now none are working.

No music, podcasts or news so it's nothing to do with music copyright.

Maybe the Crowdstrike glitch killed something?

Not much point owning a sonos if all can do is be a better TV speaker.

Neil

Subsequent to my last post.

I did a controller update on my laptop which I believe also updates speaker software/firmware.

This has now brought back the stations.

I would suggest that people give that a try.

Neil