Skip to main content
Answered

Spotify stops playing when a room is added or removed

Is this normal/expected behavior? When I add or remove a room to music currently playing via Spotify connect, the music stops everywhere. This happens when I add/remove rooms thru the Sonos iPhone app (S2), or if I am just walking into a room and I do a long press on the speaker’s play button to add that room to what is currently playing. Its very annoying. Has anyone else had this experience and discovered a solution?

Hi @gch289, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I use Spotify and was able to test on my system and it is not expected behavior. When playback is started from Spotify Connect, both grouping and ungrouping in the Sonos app doesn’t interrupt playback. A long press on the play button also works as intended and groups the speaker.

If the music is stopping everywhere after while performing grouping related options, it’s likely a connection issue, but could be something else. If you try a different music service, do you still experience issues with audio interruptions while grouping? 

I would recommend checking our guide on wireless interference as it never hurts to create a better wireless environment for your Wi-Fi enabled devices. 

So I can take a closer look into your system, please replicate the issue and submit a diagnostics, then reply here with the confirmation number. You can also reach out to our support team if you would prefer live troubleshooting. They also have more tools available to better assist in resolving this issue with you.

I hope this helps!

@Jamie A Thank you. I was able to chat with a support rep and the issue seems to be resolved for now. It seems that wireless interference was the culprit.