Question

Spotify search via Sonos seems less "smart" than expected

• 8 November 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m not sure why but when I search for a song or artist in the IOS Sonos app, other services I have connected (Pandora, Soundcloud, etc) seem better at handling slight misspellings than Spotify.

Yet, Spotify’s native search looks pretty robust. https://support.spotify.com/us/article/search/

Example: If I search for “Shakera” I don’t get results for the obvious “Shakira”. Other services do bring up alternatives for these kinds of slightly-off entries.

This does not happen inside the native Spotify app (which understands misspellings). Only when searching through the Sonos app.

What’s up with this? Plans to fix it? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Sonos sends the data that is input in the Sonos client to the Spotify servers. The Spotify servers do the ‘labor’, and send back a response to the Sonos client to display. Sonos isn’t really doing anything here, just reporting what Spotify sends them. 

You may be better off expressing your concern to Spotify, so they can fix the search they have on the server they dedicate to Sonos connections.