Question

Spotify - can't play this right now

• 13 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Over the past few months, my Sonos One recently started having trouble connecting to spotify, giving me the “can’t play this right now” prompt. It doesn’t work at all from my computer anymore and is intermittent from my phone. I’ve tried resetting the power of the sonos, connecting via wired connection, reauthorizing Spotify and nothing works. Please help!!!

My diagnostics number is 752941994.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @okalex,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your playback issue.

You may want to check to make sure that your Eero router isn’t “pausing” anything with regards to Sonos and make sure that you reboot both your eero router and your main modem.

Please keep us posted on your situation so that we can continue to assist you. 

Thanks for your response, Jean, but nothing is paused in the Eero app, and it doesn’t appear to be a problem with the internet connection for the Sonos. I know this because Alexa still works on it, and I’m able to use Airplay from my phone even when spotify connect isn’t working (though for some reason Airplay from my macbook doesn’t work and never has). It seems to be a problem specifically with the spotify integration, though I can’t say whether the issue is with Sonos or with Spotify.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @okalex,

Can you tell me if you are playing tracks that you have saved on Spotify or are you playing back one of their custom playlists?

Are you accessing Spotify via the Sonos app or are you using the Spotify app and selecting your Sonos One as a device from the speaker selection menu at the bottom?

As far as using Apple Airplay from your Mac, which WiFi network is your mac connecting to? Is it on your Eero network or is it using your ISP provided router network?

If you have the Sonos program on this computer, can you submit a diagnostic report from the “Help” tab at the top of your screen?    

Can you tell me if you are playing tracks that you have saved on Spotify or are you playing back one of their custom playlists?

I’m just playing songs and podcasts that I have saved/browsed in Spotify.

Are you accessing Spotify via the Sonos app or are you using the Spotify app and selecting your Sonos One as a device from the speaker selection menu at the bottom?

The latter - using the spotify app and selecting my Sonos as the output source, but it doesn’t seem to work properly when I use the Sonos app either.

As far as using Apple Airplay from your Mac, which WiFi network is your mac connecting to? Is it on your Eero network or is it using your ISP provided router network?

Yes, it’s on the Eero network. I don’t connect anything to the ISP-provided router’s wifi (I think I may have even turned it off).

If you have the Sonos program on this computer, can you submit a diagnostic report from the “Help” tab at the top of your screen?    

It appears the problem with the computer is due to the firewall rules, which I’m not able to change because it’s my work laptop. That said, it’s still quite flaky when attempting to use my phone, which has no such restrictions. I’ve submitted the diagnostic report as mentioned in my original post, number 752941994.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @okalex,

Thank you for the response I was hoping for a report from your computer so I could compare it to your iOS reports to figure out why it wasn’t connecting but the Firewall settings seem to explain that. 

Can you reboot your ISP provided router and your Eero and then test Spotify playback directly from the Sonos app for a minimum of 5 minutes both wired and wireless?

Can you follow up with a current diagnostic report of playback while your Sonos One is hard wired to your Eero?

The diagnostic reports are not live-data, just captures of your system when you trigger them. The report included with your initial post do not reflect any changes or further testing configurations and I’d like to see if anything has changed in the way your player communicates with the Spotify server.  

I cannot play music from Spotify app on my IPhone. All my Sonos speakers show up as “Can’t play right now.” I have Sonos diagnostic ticket 1901746065.

I tried de powering all speakers and reporting. Did not help.

This has been happenifor the last few days. Prior to that I could easily choose any Sonos speaker and play music from the Spotify app on my iPhone!

please help. Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @twehrhan.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your effort in submitting the diagnostic and for doing some troubleshooting steps, let me help and try to figure this out.

I reviewed the diagnostic and it shows some transport errors and I need to ask additional details in order to understand it better: 

• If I understand it correctly, you are trying to target the Sonos speaker from the Spotify app?
  • Was there any change made on your system? 
  • Can you play Spotify from the Sonos app?
  • Please ensure that both Sonos and Spotify apps are up to date and using the latest version.
  • Are the speakers currently “grouped”?
  • If yes, then you have to ungroup in the Sonos app, start playing a track from the Spotify app and confirm audio is playing from the device before targeting a Sonos speaker.

If the issue persists, kindly submit a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's causing the issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Problem persists. It’s intermittent. Today after working well for several weeks, I once again can’t connect Spotify app to Sonos speakers directly. I can play Spotify songs from Sonos app. ( However this is inconvenient as Spotify search is unavailable and pod casts don’t seem to do up as play options— among other inconveniences.) 

I’ve followed advice from last message. Problem persists.

• Was there any change
  • If I understand it correctly, you are trying to target the Sonos speaker from the Spotify app? YES
  • Was there any change made on your system? PROBLEM SEEMED TO START AFTER UPDATE OF SONOS APP TO VERSION “S2” I’VE EVEN TRIED RE-INSTALLING THE APP. 
  • Can you play Spotify from the Sonos app? UES
  • Please ensure that both Sonos and Spotify apps are up to date and using the latest version. THEY ARE
  • Are the speakers currently “grouped”? NO
  • If yes, then you have to ungroup in the Sonos app, start playing a track from the Spotify app and confirm audio is playing from the device before targeting a Sonos speaker.
  • If yes, then you have to ungroup in the Sonos app, start playing a track from the Spotify app and confirm audio is playing from the device before targeting a Sonos speaker. UNGROUPING SPEAKERS DIDN’T HELP

New diagnostics confirmation number is: 2138197768.

Please help thanks.

twehrhan

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @twehrhan.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, the system has detected the Sonos products are experiencing poor wireless conditions, still indicative of transport errors just like the last time it happened. 

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference. Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

I noticed that your Sonos players are connected on different wireless channels and that alone can result to audio interruption. 

I’d need to know the environment that the speakers are in, as well as the devices near those particular speakers.

May you please provide the make and model of your router? It’s best if you can describe how the network devices are connected.

For example: Modem (hardwired) > Router (wireless) > Sonos

Ideally, Sonos' performance will be best if all devices are using the same wireless channel.

• Try fixing your primary hub/routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel to a non-overlapping channel, like channel 1,6, or 11.
  • Set all the WiFi access points, extenders, hubs, or any adapters to use the exact same SSID, password, and channel as the main hub/router.
  • Set the channel width to 20MHz for the 2.4ghz band. 

If all of the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report and provide us the confirmation number, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.