Skip to main content

Spence: S2 isn’t coming back

Hard to explain how SonoPhone continues to work flawlessly if the old S2 app “is less reliable and less stable” than the new app.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SonoPhone and other 3rd party apps all continue to work, all better than the new app. In my opinion Spence has not been honest, repeatedly, and I don’t believe this BS. Given the comments over on Reddit I’m not alone. 

Hard to explain how SonoPhone continues to work flawlessly if the old S2 app “is less reliable and less stable” than the new app.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@press250 . I was just thinking the same thing. Patrick Spences justification simply doesn’t make sense to me.

Ross.

Keep in mind that none of the third party options support all the necessary Sonos functions. It is likely that the Sonos testers turned up some issues that don’t impact the other Apps.

My antique, outdated Android tablet with an equally old Sonos App continues to work for the basics while reporting the other stuff unavailable until the OS and App are updated to current.

Sonos Testers? Surely you jest. 

The Sonos app can’t even do the basics of the old app. He should customers decide. 

I am using the old s2 app it works just fine …

Is this Spence for real, or a spoof?

Kumar said…

It looks very legit.

Reading through all the answers he gave though does not inspire much confidence in me.  He loves to blame their troubles on “esoteric” bugs.  But let’s face it, these are just bugs that they failed to find during testing.

My fear is that the whole architecture is just not performant.  They changed some of the network technologies they use and I suspect this is biting them hard.  The proof of whether they have really got a handle on the new architecture will be whether they hit the deadlines that Spence laid out 26 days ago.  If these start slipping, then all bets are off regards how long until they sort out the mess.

Kumar said…

It looks very legit.

Reading through all the answers he gave though does not inspire much confidence in me.  He loves to blame their troubles on “esoteric” bugs.  But let’s face it, these are just bugs that they failed to find during testing.

My fear is that the whole architecture is just not performant.  They changed some of the network technologies they use and I suspect this is biting them hard.  The proof of whether they have really got a handle on the new architecture will be whether they hit the deadlines that Spence laid out 26 days ago.  If these start slipping, then all bets are off regards how long until they sort out the mess.

@ernmalley 
Well said. While I hope you are incorrect and Sonos are indeed on top of the development issues, I have the same concerns as you and am becoming more concerned as the weeks roll by.

Ross.

Kumar said…

It looks very legit.

If this is legit, the bigger thing I see is the “ damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead” approach taken by Sonos. Burning the bridges back to S2 while reaching out to a brave new world. Or, to use another analogy, a high wire act without a safety net, with the predictable messy outcome.

Was the senior most tech exec sleeping while Spence was driving this charge? Both should be sacked. The XO for being asleep at the wheel and the CEO for having no clue about the workings of the ship.

In other words, we’ve broken everything so badly we don’t know which way to turn next. 

Kumar said…

It looks very legit.

It’s legit. Here’s a link to the thread on Reddit with the proof (photo) that it’s him participating.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1ew62yv/august_office_hours_w_keithfromsonos

It’s legit. Here’s a link to the thread on Reddit with the proof (photo) that it’s him participating.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/1ew62yv/august_office_hours_w_keithfromsonos

I still don’t think it is CEO Spence! I doubt CEO Spence would know enough of the problem, to the extent the Spence there seems to. The other thing is that if it is CEO Spence there, who is driving the car for all the time he seems to find to comment there?!

I still don’t think it is CEO Spence! I doubt CEO Spence would know enough of the problem, to the extent the Spence there seems to. The other thing is that if it is CEO Spence there, who is driving the car for all the time he seems to find to comment there?!

Jaja it’s possible. Maybe Spence is work from home and approved the responses remotely 🤣

brace yourselves, a new version of the app is apparently due next week, not this week as promised, but next week. Hopefully no new bugs in this one  

We’ve got the next software release planned for next week, which brings a host of improvements, with a special focus on making setting up new products more reliable (and reducing the occurrences of situations where it asks you to setup products you’ve previously setup) as we know this has been a particular pain point (in fact, our #1 reason for people contacting customer care). The other big area is reducing the number of “Something went wrong” errors. Please be sure you have auto-updates on to get the latest & greatest.” P Spence (allegedly) on Reddit