Answered

Sonos Widget says "not connected to sonos" when re-entering WiFi connection

• 16 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, since late last week, I’m using a Pixel 8 Pro (Android 14).

The S2 app connects like a charm and the Sonos widget is behaving just fine when connected tot my WiFi network.

But whenever I go outside (or switch to mobile network) and re-enter my WiFi connection, the widget keeps saying: “Not connected to Sonos. Tap here”.  When I tap, the S2 app opens and the widget re-activates.

On my OnePlus 7 Pro phone, the Sonos widget immediately notices re-entering WiFi connection and activates back again within seconds.

This clearly has something to do with Pixel 8 Pro and/or background services not being allowed, in order to let the widget re-connect.

I already excluded the S2 app from the Android battery management, but I’m afraid this doesn’t help. I see no further or in-depth settings that may help to keep the widget polling on reconnecting.

Any advise is more than welcome!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 19 October 2023, 13:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @kevin_B, Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I see nothing on our end regarding this issue with the Sonos widget and I’d agree that this looks to be isolated to the Pixel 8 Pro from what you say.

I’d recommend powering off the Pixel 8 Pro for around 1-2 minutes then powering it back on, as this can restart any internal services that aren’t working correctly. I would also make sure the Pixel 8 Pro is fully up to date, then re-install the Sonos app and remove and re-add the Sonos widget to your screen.

If you leave the widget, does it eventually re-connect or will it stay showing not connected? Do you have any additional networking equipment, such as wireless extenders, that the Pixel 8 Pro may be connecting to? It would also be worth rebooting your network by powering it off for 1-2 minutes.

I hope this helps!

Hi @kevin_B, Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I see nothing on our end regarding this issue with the Sonos widget and I’d agree that this looks to be isolated to the Pixel 8 Pro from what you say.

I’d recommend powering off the Pixel 8 Pro for around 1-2 minutes then powering it back on, as this can restart any internal services that aren’t working correctly. I would also make sure the Pixel 8 Pro is fully up to date, then re-install the Sonos app and remove and re-add the Sonos widget to your screen.

If you leave the widget, does it eventually re-connect or will it stay showing not connected? Do you have any additional networking equipment, such as wireless extenders, that the Pixel 8 Pro may be connecting to? It would also be worth rebooting your network by powering it off for 1-2 minutes.

I hope this helps!

Hi, Pixel phone as already been powered off for +5minutes, to no avail.  The phone is fully up2date.
Removing and re-adding the S2 app has been applied aso (several times).

What do you mean by leaving the widget?

It’s always present on my home-screen but just says the following: “Not connected with/to Sonos. Please tap for more info” (translated from Dutch to English).

Once I tap on the widget, the full app opens and all is fine. The widget then displays my speakers and controll over volume, start/stop is working just fine.

But whenever running out of range of my WiFi or just by switching WiFi off and on again, results in the widget displaying the notification below. 

This is not happening on my OnePlus phone as it immediately activates the widget again when re-entering Wifi.

That said: my network is build of UniFi AP Pro’s (4 in total), no Wifi extenders.
Once connected to the WiFi and tapped on the widget, it all stays connected (until I run out of range or if I delibirately turn off (and on) the Wifi).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @kevin_B,

By leave the widget, I mean if you don’t tap on the widget when you re-connect to your Wi-Fi, does it automatically reconnect by itself? I’ve tested this with my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S22, which automatically reconnects after I turn off my Wi-Fi and turn it back on, though it does take around 10-15 seconds after I join my Wi-Fi network.

If we were to take a diagnostics from your system, we would only get information about your Sonos speakers. We can get information about your phone if you send a diagnostics from the Sonos app, however we don’t take much information from the phone besides the network it’s connected to, the speaker it’s grouped with, and the software version of the phone. I checked with our engineers to be certain, and no information about the Sonos widget is stored in diagnostics.

As it works with your OnePlus, and with my Samsung, it’s likely that your Google Pixel is having issues starting background network processes when reconnecting to your Wi-Fi, so it may be worth reaching out to Google to troubleshoot.

It’s also possible that your Google Pixel is connecting to a different access point than your Sonos (or the same if Client Device Isolation is enabled) and doesn’t see until you open the Sonos app. I would recommend that you check IGMP Snooping is enabled on your UniFi devices while making sure the following settings are disabled: Multicast and Broadcast Control, Multicast Enhancement, Client Device Isolation, and Proxy ARP.

If the steps I’ve mention above don’t resolve the issue, then what you’ve been doing with tapping the widget or opening the Sonos app would be the way to reconnect the widget on your Pixel.