Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos update just broke my system

What in the hell did Sonos put out. Totally unprofessional, the new iOS app, while not a horrible redesign after playing with it has no more alarm service and is not intuitive and is buggy, buggy, buggy. Also, the old alarm settings seem to be embedded somewhere as they are still working, but no way to change them, which needs to be done as they were done ad hoc. 

The new mac laptops app doesn’t work at all. It all doesn’t play well together. 

I mean really? I am into Sonos deeply, full surround system, multiple Moves and multiple Roams, a sub, two play 5’s various Sonos Ones. I’m a loyal and longtime supporter, but this update is very unprofessional and not well thought out. 

Why in the world release something I and so many others say broke there system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I fixed my problem. My problem was that I couldn’t group the speakers with my TV bar. I eventually went on the IOS app on my iphone and tapped the sun moji on the top right of the screen. Then clicked manage to the right of Your System. Then clicked on Groups third one down the menu and created a group by ticking the ones I wanted to group together in my system and renamed the group eg Den and TV Bar and Saved. I really question why they needed to change the way of doing this though.

Here is how I fixed my 3 dead speakers.   Factory reset all three.  Connected one via Ethernet to router, added it back and then had a network to add the other two to besides my original one which did not work.   Still slow and cumbersome but works FINALLY and lost no playlists.

Still a disastrous update and experience to have to even contemplate a work around in 2024.   SONOS NEEDS A NEW CEO, BOARD AND DIRECTOR OF IT.  Typical Southern California crap company\]

OUT

They should never have removed the ability to back track to the old app which worked perfectly. It seems that they are too arrogant to deal with it, in spite of the numerous complaints, and reintroduce the previous version. I, for one, will never be buying their equipment again.

The update worked on my personal system at home with 2 One SL and 1 Symfonisk.

However, I just spent 4h trying to fix the Sonos system of my parents. Nothing works. I was resetting all 3 speakers (2x Play:1, 1x Play:5 Gen2), reinstalled the apps on 2 iPads and 1 iPhone. Tried to connect by Wifi and Ethernet and obviously - I was factory resetting the speakers ca. 20 times.

Not enough that the speakers don’t work, even though connected by Wifi (can see them on router network page), but by their malfunction, they also mess up the complete network.

I have no clue what is going on and how to fix it. I tried all I read in several posts here and on reddit. Currently all 3 speakers are unplugged with no intention to plugging them in again, for some time. It’s a bloody joke.

Posted on another thread –

I’ll join the party here. The new app isn’t just woeful in terms of how you navigate it and the UX, but I’m actually only able to play music in one room. Attempting to change the room does nothing. That’s a critical flaw that renders several of my speakers completely redundant.

So I’m sat in my office today listening to music through my MacBook Pro, pondering the alternatives.

Not good Sonos.

I suspect some users just need to discover & use the ‘group room’ screen in the Sonos App to play to a group of speakers. Obviously, familiarity with a new App is sometimes part of the issue too.

Nope, that screen is the source of my problem. So for example, at the moment my “Kitchen” is selected, and music plays to that room fine. If I try to change that to “Office” for example, and press Apply, nothing happens. It just reverts back to “Kitchen”.

Nothing to do with being unfamiliar with new app.

This is my experience.  ‘Upgrading firmware’ is just gobbledeygook to me.  How do I get my music system working again please Sonos?