Answered

Sonos Unable to Connect to PC

• 15 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry to be an aged non-techie!  Have a sudden problem with my S1 five zone system - ok with Spotify but when I try to play from my Music Library I get “Unable to play xxxx, Unable to connect to XXXX”; (this being my PC).  When I go into the Library Settings I can’t add or remove any Folders, it just goes back a screen.  The system advises me to check sleep settings (are ok) and and firewall settings (Sonos.exe is allowed in Bitdefender).  My PC can see all my Sonos locations and the external drive that contains my FLAC files.  I don’t want to try anything drastic like uninstall without advice from someone better qualified than me.  Any help please?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 16 June 2023, 09:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @derekn43,

From the description of the issue, I would suggest calling into our support team as you may be experiencing a name resolution failure, which just means that Sonos is not pointed towards the correct IP address of your computer. Without a diagnostics or error code, this would be my best guess.

It is possible it’s not the issue above, but something else, however I would still recommend calling in as our support team can remote into your system and step through the process to resolve this issue with you. 

I hope this information helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Disable Bitdefender as a test.

You will need to add SonosLibraryService to its exclusion list as well, at minimum, as that is what supplies music to the Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The file might be corrupted, try downloading it again directly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your replies.  I contacted support yesterday and received patient help; it appears to be difficult and, unfortunately, at 1h 48m the call dropped out.  At the time a reset was being carried out in S2 so now I have very little other than just Spotify on half my zones.  I needed a break today and will try again tomorrow.

It’s a tangled web of S1 and S2 plus WiFi issues.  I thought Sonos had its’ own WiFi but it seems the fact that I have an extender on my Asus router complicates matters.

Learned one thing today - when you use an upgrade 30% discount you do not lose the use of the legacy item, you keep it along with the new item.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ll update the situation in case it helps anyone.  In my second call to support Sebastian successfully downgraded my 3 Sonos Ones to S1.  I could then add them to my  S1 system and I linked them to Alexa.  Alexa did not play radio or Spotify and in a third call Inhigh (?) helped me add Sonos Skill to Alexa.  Previously nothing happened when I tried to Add or Remove sources in my Music Library Settings but now it suddenly worked and I added my music folder successfully.  So now I have a fully functioning S1 system .  Thank to Romana, Sebastian and Inhigh who were all brilliant at their roles.  I am evidently technically inept and they were patient and friendly.  Thanks.