Skip to main content
Question

sonos tidal issue with new sonos app update

Since the new Sonos app update ( May’24) I can longer play all “top tracks” from an artist search on tidal. It will only play one song.  The same goes for artist radio on tidal it will only play the first song you pick.  Previos Sonos app would automatically play each song one after the other.  This is something I use all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 2

Yes, one of the most basic and fundamental functions of the app is broken. Obviously wasn't tested, or those who program it don't listen to music. I tried calling support today, 65 minute wait time. I'm throughly annoyed  that the primary function of the app is broken.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, me too. Yet another consequence of this ridiculous new app. 

Hey Sonos - you can add this one to your long list of reasons why loyal Sonos customers are currently looking around for alternative systems … 

Userlevel 1

This is very annoying.  I just “upgraded” app and have lost the most common functionality I used- to shuffle through favorite tracks on tidal.  

Userlevel 2

I chatted with their support team and the fix for this is coming in early June.

Userlevel 1

One reason I switched from apple music to tidal….playing artists playlists is my lifeblood. I jumped into this chat to see it I’m the idiot that couldn’t figure out how to play the compilation. Needless to say, it’s not me. Someone dropped the ball on this one. Update in June?…..God love you. I’ll be using amazon music app til the update is in place.

Userlevel 2

I had forgotten about the tidal connect feature. This will allow you to play artists top tracks like you could on the previous version. It has the sinilar idea of Bluetooth connection or apple airplay, which both also work between a phone/tablet device and a sonos product.  

When playing a song make the playback view full screen. Then click the little blue radio icon upper right corner. Then click which sonos speaker(s) you'd like to stream to. Now you control what is playing with the native Tidal app. I believe Spotify has something similar I can't seen to find anything with Qobuz.

Userlevel 2

This is a basic feature which I also have been using on a daily basis (queuing all “top tracks” or all “artist radio tracks” for play so I can listen at length as I do other things).  Using the Tidal App on my iPhone, then picking the Sonos speakers I want to play on is a workaround but quite awkward and sometimes things get confused and don’t work - I believe this puts more of a strain on streaming hardware.  I’m hoping Sonos will make it a priority to fix this bug!

Ridiculous. I usually play my track collection on Tidal to Sonos. Since the update, you can no longer Play All or shuffle all. It will only play one song. No excuse for this. 

I have been frustrated with this latest app update ever since I downloaded it. Too many changes that cause users to relearn what should be an easy to use intuitive interface. Clearly there was no testing done to ensure Tidal users would not lose functionality. Please do better QA with the next big update. 

Userlevel 1

Worst UI roll out of any product I can think of any time recently.  A sheer fail.

As a software developer with a whole home audio system built on Sonos Amps and architectural speakers, I have never been more frustrated with a software release.

This issue is 100% consistent and reproducible, and completely nukes the usability of the Sonos app for a significant population of users. A bug fix should have been pushed within the week this was reported and not a month or more later.

Userlevel 2

As of June 14, Still no fix for this basic feature of playing all “top tracks” or “artist radio” tracks from Tidal!  How hard can it be to fix this highly used feature??

Userlevel 1

As of June 14, Still no fix for this basic feature of playing all “top tracks” or “artist radio” tracks from Tidal!  How hard can it be to fix this highly used feature??

I am getting the sense this was intentional. 

Sonos wants to push streaming services like Tidal out of the way for users to start using Sonos radio and the like.  This is an easy fix.  It’s either Sonos is inept or has malicious intent.  Which is it?

The easiest way is to make the user’s preferred services not so user friendly.

This issue needs to be resolved. ASAP. For such quality hardware; their software appilcation and cooperation with Tidal is terrible. Another key feature I would like to be able to use is Tidals "go to track radio" feature. Unless I just can't find the function somewhere. "Go to track radio" is the primary way I explore new music. I now find myself only being able to explore new music without using Sonos. It has been highly disappointing the lack of Tidal features available when using it through Sonos, and has made my experience with my Sonos system very unpleasant. I will likely not switch from Tidal as I am under the impression they pay the artists more and like the service. But.. I also like my Sonos speakers ... It will for sure be Sonos that goes if forced to make a switch, because it's Sonos who has not fullfiled the functions on their end of the software. Maybe someone can help me to be able to use Sonos while exploring new music and artists through Tidal....? To me Sonos is hurting musicians by making it difficult to use the service Tidal, which pays them better than other streaming services. 

Unfortunately it’s not. I just updated the app and Tidal is still not shuffling. Only plays one song. On Apple Music it works perfectly. 

I’m going to give them until the end of July … If they haven’t fixed this issue, I am selling all my Sonos gear and going for a different playback solution. I am not going to be forced into using Sonos’ own music services. 

They have completely ruined the entire user interface … Every single person I have spoken with who uses Sonos agrees. In fact, I heard the phrase “most unintuitive GUI update in history” from several people.

Userlevel 3

I am utterly appalled at how intentional this all seems that Tidal no longer works the way it did before with the Sonos app. I cannot add songs from the Sonos app to Tidal playlist nor play Tidal from the app or edit queues besides play next. So many functions I used to be able to do are unavailable. It’s infuriating and stupid.

I am disgusted and want my money back. I chose Sonos for the software. It was user friendly and allowed me to use various streaming services, including Tidal. The Sonos 5 speakers and subwoofer sound great, but if I can’t play the music I want to listen to on my favorite app, they are useless to me. I assumed when I purchased the speakers that the software was part of the deal. If I had known the software would be downgraded, I would have gone with another system. I bought this system less than a year ago—way too much money to spend for only a year of use. Class action? They likely have some clause about potential changes to software. If this change was intentional, it’s slimy and I feel ripped off.

Bump…

Anything on this? The only thing I can think to do is to add my entire music library to a playlist that I can use from inside Sonos.  I am in total agreement with everyone here--I don’t know a single soul, like literally not one person, that isn’t appalled by this update.  God help you if you have older parents or anyone in your life that isn’t tech savvy as you’re just going to be...DEAD.  

Sonos, I’m in the same boat here--you WERE a software company first and now you must be smoking crack and reciting limericks in the breakroom as there is no other plausible explanation to this dumpster fire you’re calling an “upgrade”.

So I know it had been mentioned earlier in the thread to use the cast button in Tidal to play from Tidal directly to Sonos speakers. I was unable to use this function as it was unresponsive. I did some more digging online. I was advised to restart and logoff all elements of the sonos system and Tidal and restart everything. I did that and now I can use the cast feature on the top right of Sonos (speaker icon) just fine. This is way better as I can use all the functions of Tidal and play on my Sonos speaker system. This does not mean that Sonos has not totally and potentially deliberately dropped the ball on the Sonos app support for Tidal. The app still has major repairs and changes to make.  However it is a good workaround. Thought I would post this as mine took some time to get working but after restarting everything I got the cast function working. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

It’s now July and no “fix”?

Still can’t even edit the queue! 
Let alone countless other BASIC functions. 
A shockingly bad music playing app. 

Came here for the SAME issue with Sonos app. 

Happy to report the workaround mentioned above is working for me! 

Using the TIDAL app: set your queue/playlist and then select/cast out to your Sonos system/speakers. Not idea, but better than dealing with the Sonos app for now.

Came here for the SAME issue with Sonos app. 

Happy to report the workaround mentioned above is working for me! 

Using the TIDAL app: set your queue/playlist and then select/cast out to your Sonos system/speakers. Not idea, but better than dealing with the Sonos app for now.

This doesn't work on Android apparently.... Extremely disappointed this no longer works.... Sonos product Management leadership all need to be fired