Skip to main content

sonos system mal function

• 3 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Previously songs from my itunes library were playing fine and most still do. However, over time more and more songs no longer will play on Sonos. A message appears that says the song is not properly encoded. Is there a fix for this problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Ditto what DKB says. I have one album in my Apple Music library that half of the song fail with that message. When I look at the info on each track, they are all ACC audio files, bit rate 130kbps, sample rate 44.000 kHz, so they are all the same but only half plays.

Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

My app (version 15.10) says to only submit a diagnostic when asked by Support. However, should I run the diagnostic when the app is skipping songs, or after it has chosen one it likes and is playing? It skips through the songs rather quickly, so it might be hard to catch it doing this.

Randy

My app (version 15.10) says to only submit a diagnostic when asked by Support. However, should I run the diagnostic when the app is skipping songs, or after it has chosen one it likes and is playing? It skips through the songs rather quickly, so it might be hard to catch it doing this.

Randy

Just submit the diagnostic immediately afterwards (within a few minutes) and note the reference number of the report and give that to the Sonos Support staff.. they might just advise you to try using a different ‘fixed’ non-overlapping WiFi channel and set the 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only and to reboot your router to reduce local wireless interference - as that often tends to resolve the type of issue mentioned.

Thank you Ken. I will work on this tomorrow and post back here with the results.

Randy

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The App’s suggestion to wait for support to ask for the diagnostic isn’t optimum in a lot of cases.

The internal logs only hold full data for a few minutes so if you wait until they ask, the needed information may have aged out and if the issue isn’t happening right then you can’t collect new information on the issue.

Continuing my troubleshooting. I rebooted my router and waited for everything to reconnect. Started playing music from my Apple Music playlists and started to get the song rejections because of improper coding. I then ran a diagnostic and contacted Sonos Support. After getting through the bot responses, I got a technician, informed him of what was going on and gave him the diagnostic code. The code apparently didn’t tell him anything, as his next suggestion was to reauthorize Apple Music, which I did. The problem still existed. Next he told me to delete Apple Music from my Sonos App and reconnect it. This I did, and still no change to the problem. His last recommendation was to contact Apple Support and supplied me with the phone number.

The saga continues…😕

Randy

I haven’t had the time to get on the phone with Apple Support about this problem, but I’m thinking this is a Sonos App problem. I am able to Airplay all my music through the Apple Music app to all my Sonos speakers without any problems. All my music plays with no random halts, or songs rejected because of coding problems. This doesn’t sound like the problem is at Apple to me.

Randy

If you’re using AirPlay 2, there isn’t a lot of the Sonos App being used, the Sonos speakers are just trying to receive the AirPlay 2 signal, and play it.  

But Apple uses different servers for what they feed to Sonos directly using the Sonos controller, and what they feed to your iOS/Mac. That being said, if you’re finding issues when using the Sonos app, you should absolutely submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.