Skip to main content

Sonos starts playing unknown music from Spotify in the middle of the night and crank up volume to 95%

• 25 July 2023
  • 6 replies

I realise that this can be a Spotify issue or some hack on my network starting this random playoff loud music. I raised a case with support that could tell me the phone and model that the command to start playing this unknown song from Spotify at 95% volume while I was sleeping came from.

But as I cannot figure out which device is starting the music and why, I would love to be able to restrict access to my Sonos system to narrow down what causes this horrible event.

I just experienced this wake-up call again at about 2:45 tonight and sent diagnostic 213402988. Same strange music at 95% volume but this time in a different room called “Badeværelse”.

Is it possible to get the actual device name? And maybe even the Mac address?

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or can anyone from Sonos support see anything useful in my diagnostic 213402988?

This may not be triggered by Sonos, but my Sonos enables this to happen, and if I cannot find the root cause and stop this, then I must seriously consider to stop using Sonos and find some other product. I have been a Sonos fan for many years, but losing sleep minimizes my excitement.

Moderator edit: recorded and removed case number as it’s identifying information.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’m not sure anyone in the user community here can help you identify the device. Sonos support should be able to assist with that perhaps I would have thought? …and then simply schedule the MAC address (when known) to be filtered out of connecting to your network router during the night/usual sleep schedule.

I guess you could even do that now with any ‘known network devices’ that you know have Spotify installed. Many routers allow filtering out MAC addresses using a time schedule in their configuration pages.

Has a house guest played Spotify on your system?

I’m not sure anyone in the user community here can help you identify the device. Sonos support should be able to assist with that perhaps I would have thought? …and then simply schedule the MAC address (when known) to be filtered out of connecting to your network router during the night/usual sleep schedule.

I guess you could even do that now with any ‘known network devices’ that you know have Spotify installed. Many routers allow filtering out MAC addresses using a time schedule in their configuration pages.

I have seen Sonos support replying in the forum, so I was hoping for them to get back on the diagnostic report.

Also I hoped for someone else having had this issue and solved it :-)

Thanks for your input.

Has a house guest played Spotify on your system?

Probably, but no-one that are present at my address in the night, and as I understand then Spotify connect only works if you are on the same network as your Sonos devices.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes, to initially establish the connection. The connection is then between your player and the Spotify service, this connection remains active even if the controlling app disconnects from your network. I saw similar a few years ago, some detailed explanation here:

No, that’s unfortunately not correct. Spotify Connect must be established initially while on your wifi, but then continues, even when not in your wifi, until you ‘break’ the Spotify Connect connection by playing from any other stream. 

Which is why you’ll get those 95% volume issues. The person who is trying to play music doesn’t realize they’re still connected to your Sonos, and turns up the music, because they can’t hear it wherever they are,  and you pay the penalty. 

Anytime you have anyone over who connects to your system using Spotify Connect, you should, at the end of their visit, break all remaining connections by playing anything from any other streaming company. 

This is a flaw in my opinion, in Spotify’s implementation of the Connect software. It should work the way you expect, only while someone is connected to your wifi signal.