Answered

Sonos/Spotify keeps playing even when device is off

• 31 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Playing Spotify playlist/Sonos speaker from my husband’s PC.  When I want to stop the music I close Sonos.  Most of the time this stops the music.  BUT NOT ALWAYS.  The music keeps playing so I go to Task Manager, but don’t see anything resembling an active Sonos app.  So I restart the computer.  Music keeps playing through restart.  I do a hard reboot and the music continues.  

At that point I unplug the speaker to stop the music.  

Can anyone tell me why the music keeps playing even if all devices in the house are shut down?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 31 December 2020, 17:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It is because the app is just a remote control, it doesn’t play anything.  The speaker gets the music from the source and so until you tap / click the pause button it will keep playing.  So tap / click the pause button.

Playing Spotify playlist/Sonos speaker from my husband’s PC.  When I want to stop the music I close Sonos.  Most of the time this stops the music.  BUT NOT ALWAYS.  The music keeps playing so I go to Task Manager, but don’t see anything resembling an active Sonos app.  So I restart the computer.  Music keeps playing through restart.  I do a hard reboot and the music continues.  

At that point I unplug the speaker to stop the music.  

Can anyone tell me why the music keeps playing even if all devices in the house are shut down?

If perhaps ‘Airplaying’ an audio source to the speaker from a piece of software that is an actual ‘player’ in its own right, (eg. Spotify App) then when that player is closed (not minimised) the audio will stop.

The Sonos App on the other hand is not a player, it’s a ‘remote control’ and a music source (perhaps streamed from online, or a local computer, or NAS) plays direct to the speaker. So when the remote control (Sonos App) is closed the music/speaker simply keeps playing.

To stop the audio easily, either open the Sonos App software remote and press the ‘pause’ button to stop the playing room, or perhaps press the play/pause on the playing speaker(s).

Thanks, you’ve answered my question.