Sonos spatial music

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello everyone,

I wonder when Sonos is planning to make deals with streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz to stream spatial music to Sonos audio systems. I was very disappointed to read, spatial music is only available on Apple Music and Amazon Music. First thing that was going trough my mind was: “Are you kidding me?” Why support streaming services which pays artist the worst amount of $$$ for each stream? Well… it can more worse, but lets be honest, Qobuz and Tidal are much better for artist support. That's the main reason why I use both of them. the 2nd reason is the high bitrate. 

With the new Era 100 and 300, costumers are forced to subscribe to Apple Music or amazon if they want to take advantage of their expensive hardware. Isn’t it time to make good deals with more streaming-services to have more to choose from? Same for Sonos voice control. Only full control with Apple Music. I love my Sonos system, but the support for streaming services are horrible.

So that said, I’m much more comfortable, really hoping Sonos wil renegotiate with the different music partners in the near feature. I do know, Sonos is not telling us what’s in the pipeline, so I just hope for a big happy surprise in the near feature.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Only three music services currently offer music in Dolby Atmos… Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, and TIDAL. Sonos isn’t going to offer Dolby Atmos support from Qobuz if Qobuz doesn’t offer music in Dolby Atmos.

And it makes sense why Sonos chose Apple Music and Amazon Music over TIDAL. TIDAL’s number of subscribers pales in comparison to Apple Music and Amazon Music.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi!

Thank you very much for your quick response! So there is hope? Only thing is, according to this website it’s only for Apple Music and Amazon music.

I really hope I'm wrong. Do you have a link or something where we can read this is also available by Tidal? Would be awesome. In that case I will immediately upgrade my Hifi-subscription to the Master-subscription. 

Userlevel 7

Hi!

Thank you very much for your quick response! So there is hope? Only thing is, according to this website it’s only for Apple Music and Amazon music.

I really hope I'm wrong. Do you have a link or something where we can read this is also available by Tidal? Would be awesome. In that case I will immediately upgrade my Hifi-subscription to the Master-subscription. 

You misread my post. Only three music services currently offer music in Dolby Atmos… Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, and TIDAL. BUT Sonos only supports Dolby Atmos music on Apple Music and Amazon Music, NOT on TIDAL.

Qobuz doesn’t offer Dolby Atmos music at all.

Hello everyone,

I wonder when Sonos is planning to make deals with streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz to stream spatial music to Sonos audio systems. I was very disappointed to read, spatial music is only available on Apple Music and Amazon Music. First thing that was going trough my mind was: “Are you kidding me?” Why support streaming services which pays artist the worst amount of $$$ for each stream? Well… it can more worse, but lets be honest, Qobuz and Tidal are much better for artist support. That's the main reason why I use both of them. the 2nd reason is the high bitrate. 

I’m not sure there is much of a negotiation that needs to take place.  Sonos has an API that music services are free to use, at least for stereo streams.  I’m not sure if the same applies for atmos streams.  Either way though, it most likely would be a matter of coordination of development and testing more than anything else.

As far as why Amazon and Apple were chosen 1st, probably due to existing relationships and the volume of Sonos customers who use those services.

With the new Era 100 and 300, costumers are forced to subscribe to Apple Music or amazon if they want to take advantage of their expensive hardware.

Era 100 is not a spatial audio speaker, although it can be used as a surround speaker for spatial audio with a Beam Gen 2 or Arc. 

Isn’t it time to make good deals with more streaming-services to have more to choose from? Same for Sonos voice control. Only full control with Apple Music. I love my Sonos system, but the support for streaming services are horrible.

Sonos Voice Control (SVC) supports Sonos radio, Apple, Amazon, Pandora, and Deezer. I don’t understand why all the other services aren’t supported though

So that said, I’m much more comfortable, really hoping Sonos wil renegotiate with the different music partners in the near feature. I do know, Sonos is not telling us what’s in the pipeline, so I just hope for a big happy surprise in the near feature.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

Edit, my guess is that Deezer will be the next to get atmos music support with Sonos.  It already has SVC support, and Sonos recently entered an agreement with  to manage/provide content for Sonos radio.  Sonos surely would want atmos music on their radio stations to support their new spatial audio  speakers.  Deezer doesn’t have spatial audio right now, but it seems like releasing it with an guaranteed audience is a good way to go.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Well that makes it much more clear. Sorry about the SVC, my information was incorrect about that. I didn’t had the facts straight. Although nice to see, there is some more integration going on with it.

Is Apple Music on Sonos now these days also in high res? Last time I checked, on Sonos it was limited to 320kb/s, although they have an ‘ALAC’ codec, but that didn't come trough when streaming using the Sonos app directly. If it is supporting ALAC now on the Sonos app, I might consider giving up on Qobuz and take Apple Music instead, with of course keeping Tidal as well for streaming music in the car and everywhere else with no Atmos hardware, because I like to contribute to the artist, who are, at the end, making this all possible ;)

Hello everyone,

With the new Era 100 and 300, costumers are forced to subscribe to Apple Music or amazon if they want to take advantage of their expensive hardware. Isn’t it time to make good deals with more streaming-services to have more to choose from? Same for Sonos voice control. Only full control with Apple Music. I love my Sonos system, but the support for streaming services are horrible.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

HI, I always wondered, you know Tidal works on Sonos without going through the app in the Sonos S2 app, I open up Tidal stand alone app and it picks up my sonos rooms to cast the music to and on the App it says High, Max, FLAC, or whatever you casting to the Sonos, the only thing it will not support that I see is Dolby atmos to the sonos, but it will work on your phone speakers saying dolby atmos, but when casting it, if you cast an atmos track to sonos, on the stand alone app it reduces it to just HIGH. But Tidal said they don't support third party apps, but it still works through s2 app but not for dolby atmos.