Sonos S1 will no longer stream Pandora, Audible, SiriusXM...etc

• 5 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I have spent almost 3 hours on with Sonos support to resolve the issue.  A few months ago, S1 app stopped playing music apps and it says “unable to play selected item”.  I have tried Audible, SiriusXM, and Pandora.  I was able to control via a Sonos One on the system with alexa, but then that stopped.  So, I removed the Sonos One from the system and just left the S1 only devices.  Now - they don’t do ANYTHING.  3 hours on phone and chat and now SONOS is telling me it isn’t their problem.  They told me that I need to call every service and have them fix the services compatibility with the S1 app.  NOTE:  this is also an issue with controlling the sonos speakers with my computer.  I am sorry, but this doesn’t seem like an issue for amazon and pandora and I do not think I need to call each one of them individually.  This issue has been brought up many times on this community chat and SONOS has yet to address it. 

If sonos could just be upfront and say - this is it - these speakers you spent $500 on 10 years ago are no longer useful and that corporate greed and capitalism have won out over the environment and a perfectly good set of speakers that is in theory still functionable should now go into our landfill and they want you to spend another $1000 to continue, I would appreciate that response!!  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have not heard of any particular streaming services dropping support for S1, although I haven’t been looking for it, nor will I be surprised when it happens. It could also be that support is available in your region.

I suspect there is either an issue with your network, or your older devices are starting to fail.  Support should have been able to help with that, but lots of fellow users here can often help out as well. Is there anything else support told you about the issues that was useful?  Does your Sonos One work well when setup as it’s own system?  If you have a device with aux line in, does that work correctly?

If sonos could just be upfront and say - this is it - these speakers you spent $500 on 10 years ago are no longer useful and that corporate greed and capitalism have won out over the environment and a perfectly good set of speakers that is in theory still functionable should now go into our landfill and they want you to spend another $1000 to continue, I would appreciate that response!!  

When the S1/S2 splt happened, they did say that they cannot guarantee that music services would continue to support the S1 setup indefinitely.  I don’t think they could have really even guaranteed music service support forever when the products were originally sold to you.   Not going to touch the whole corporate greed/environmental argument.

Yes I have 2 sonos play 5s and a play 1.  They all work PERFECTLY fine.  But at this time, only with sonos radio :-(

Service told me I have to call every application separately for the troubleshooting.  No issue with my network. They all worked until recently and having the same issue as others reported 4-5 months ago.  I just had a workaround for a bit with alexa, until that stopped, as others have pointed out.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

FWIW, I can still play Pandora and SiriusXM on my S1 system. For Pandora, some stations work and some don’t (I don’t know why). Try different Pandora stations to see if any of them work (I get ‘unable to connect’ for some of them but not all). SiriusXM still has the old API on S1 (apparently) so I can get to my favorites and on-demand content still. S2 has a few changes to it and I don’t like it (I have a separate post on it).