Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Radio and TuneIn stopped playing stations!

• 24 August 2020
  • 9 replies

For an unknown reason, Sonos radio and Tune-in stopped playing music.

When we select a Tune-in station, we ear a “DingDong Tune in” announcement and nothing else.

When we select a Sonos radio station, no sound at all!

Did reboot the Wifi router; no change at all. We can no longer listen to radio stations!

Hi @dagel.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, I just have to ask a few more details:

• Is it happening on all the music services you have in the Sonos app?
  • Was there any change made on the network/system recently or any outages perhaps?

Kindly submit a diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

You may also refer to this article that provides common fixes for audio interruptions while playing music services on Sonos.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

No modification to any devices on the network. The problem started suddenly last Saturday.

The problem is with the “stations” services. I did remove TuneIn in an attend to fix the problem and strangely, Sonos Radio seems to still use TuneIn radio: when I try to tune <ICI radio Montreal at 95.1> on Sonos Radio we see that Sonos is connecting to TuneIn and we ear the strange “digdong TuneIn announcement” with no other audio!

Spotify and Stingray are still working properly.

I did send a diagnostic, number 1951770793

Thanks in advance,

Hi @dagel.

Thanks for your response and for your effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, the system detected sync errors, it also shows Sonos Radio as one of the music services on your account but TuneIn is not, maybe because you mentioned that you removed it.

Commonly, this issue can come as a result of wireless interference perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report through the Sonos app and provide us the confirmation number, so I can review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Good day,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Since there are a lot of articles on Sonos wireless interference on the net, and despite the fact that we have a Bell Home Hub 3000, a pretty powerful tri-band Wi-Fi router, I decided to set up a mesh network in order to increase speed and coverage for the entire house. It is now up and running and, after testing the bandwidth and latency in multiple location, I can say that we now have a super-powerful and efficient network at home!

As for an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet the system requirements; I did review all devices and set-up and all is fine. The fact that the problem appeared suddenly also indicates that we had a good solution until something happened on the Sonos system.

This morning, I successfully connected the a local station with Sonos radio but Sonos did not showed our Move speaker on the volume control screen despite the fact that the Move speaker was working!

I did send a diagnostic, num. 920113905.

Hi @dagel.

Thanks for your detailed response, I appreciate your expertise.

Upon checking on the diagnostic, the system detected that there are two Wifi routers running on your network at the same time.

It’s not really an issue though, the trick is, we just need to connect to the right one where your Sonos speakers were originally setup.

I noticed that the iOS controller contains and quite possible connecting into technically two Wifi networks with the same Wifi name/SSID, but these are from two different devices perhaps APs or routers that are blasting the same Wifi name.

This situation might be the cause of what is showing here on your system, your Sonos components are connected on different Wifi channels and if your controller is connected to the other Wifi, that will trigger issues on your system.

You have two options; do Bridge Mode so that the other router will just act as a passthrough or just turn off its ability to emit Wifi. Your Internet Service Provider can assist you with either of the two options.

To sum it up, knowing which Wifi to connect is the best way to manage your Sonos system.

You can also view the Sonos system requirements article on our support website for more information.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Has mentioned in an earlier message I have installed a mesh Wi-Fi network system. As you know, a mesh network is a group of devices that act as a single Wi-Fi network; so there are multiple sources of Wi-Fi around the house, instead of just a single router. These additional Wi-Fi sources are called pods and they are connected to each other wirelessly. This allows for fast and efficient data routing in a large house.

The problem with Sonos started before the installation of the mesh network.

All other devices, sometime more than 30 of them, are working flawlessly without any interruption or difficulties.

If Sonos cannot work with a mesh network, this is a real issue since this is becoming “the way to connect” all those internet devices present in a modern house.

Hi @dagel.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

The Sonos environment may be connected to a WiFi mesh router with multiple wireless nodes, and as per system requirements:

• If you need to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so.
  • In WiFi mesh networks, Sonos products must be wired to the primary mesh node if using a wired setup.

At this point, we would need to learn your network layout and how Sonos is running on the system.

It would be best to reach out to Sonos Support to continue working with us and discuss it in real-time to expedite the process.

I suggest contacting phone support for they have more resources and tools available on their system for advanced troubleshooting.

When you have a moment during the week, please give our support number a call. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

I also can’t get non-UK radio stations via TuneIn and Sonos radio. Why?

I also can’t get non-UK radio stations via TuneIn and Sonos radio. Why?

Because TuneIn are blocking them all - see the pinned master thread on the subject.