Answered

Sonos PC app can't individual speaker volumes in a group

• 21 October 2022
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the Sonos app installed on a Windows 11 PC.  I have a group of three rooms that are almost always grouped together.  On the Windows app I can control the group’s volume as a whole, but the individual room volume sliders don’t work, and the icon to mute/unmute is darkened out and can’t be clicked.

For reference I can control individual room volumes on my phone app.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 October 2022, 03:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ll just add my voice to the list. Fortunately I don’t use the desktop software that often, nevertheless its an irritation I could do without. C’mon Sonos get your finger out and get it sorted. Yet another “upgrade”.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

No. I'm afraid not. It was about 5 years ago. It was when Sonos removed almost all the system management functionality from the desktop controller.

Edit - I found the announcement. I am not sure that it contains the words "development of the desktop controller has stopped" but the message is pretty clear

This is not at all my experience. I’ve used the desktop app for years, almost exlusively with grouped speakers for which I’ve always been able to adjust the volume individually. This is a recent issue.

I am also experiencing this lack of functionality, not able to individually adjust volume when grouped.

Does work correctly in the iOS app.

Not sure I understand that statement. The location of the data being played has no impact. Nor does the location of the controller.

The actual ‘computer’ and ‘program’ running Sonos exists on Sonos devices, and not your own devices. Where the music is stored is merely a location that you tell the Sonos computer to reach out to to get the music. To Sonos, it makes no difference if it’s on a local hard drive, an NAS, a mobile device (android only), or an internet stream.

The controller is merely a remote control to access that program running on the Sonos, and display what’s going on there. 

You are Correct.  I think the original poster was saying that they use it in the SAME ROOM as the rest of their gear; through a WINDOWS PC.  But its broken and SONOS needs to update and FIX the issue that THEY broke..  I for one was a person that purchased all my sonos speakers with the knowledge that PC control would work.  They neutered it about 4 years ago……. but now to make it NON FUNCTIONAL  is just STUPID!!!!! 

Userlevel 1

Hey Sonos, Same problem.  I have over $4,800 worth of your equipment and substantial stock investment.  Keep me happy!  Unlike your recent stock trend.

@username already exists, You are a teensy bit late to the party. As of yesterday the issue is resolved.

Same problem here on 14.18 …

no individual volume control on rooms. The above fix about disconnecting each room from the group then adding back in only works temporarily it is not a permanant fix.   Please get this glitch sorted out SONOS for PC Windows 10

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Same problem here on 14.18 …

no individual volume control on rooms. The above fix about disconnecting each room from the group then adding back in only works temporarily it is not a permanant fix.   Please get this glitch sorted out SONOS for PC Windows 10

This is fixed on 14.19 which was available from Tuesday

Just updated and yes it now seems to be fixed!  Yipee! 😊

Userlevel 1

No one ever says thanks anymore!   Thanks Sonos! Love my system!

Yes we all love it!  But then they SONOS do a software update that causes an issue. We thanked them when we paid a lot of money for the system. All we want in return is it to work correctly. I don’t wish to thank them for an error they created!

Userlevel 1

Pick some calming music and listen to it on your Arc, Sonos 5’s and Sub.  You will feel much better!

Badge +1

I just performed an update to Sonos Controller and my group worked straightaway. Hope it continues to!

Thank GOD they finally fixed this!!!  Shame on SONOS for not getting it fixed sooner.  This was ridiculous when a 3rd party app had it right (phonos universal)  And the OEM could not get it corrected.  Shame on you SONOS!!!  Was going to buy a pair of 5’s for a Basement setup.  But NOPE; Going with a Regular AMP and speakers now with a Cheap competitor controller that Is NOT SONOS.   Too much money spent on SONOS without support.  SONOS has lost the reason for being.  They take the consumer for granted!!!!!  Not gonna keep supporting a company that cant get their code right.  Bring back the FULL PC App.  Easy for integrators to remote in and fix issues.  Not so with a Phone App.  STOP deleting functions!

Thank you, sailaj24!  That works.  I was losing my mind trying to figure out a work around. 

Add me to the list of wanting this fixed.  

SAME!  Over 2 months with out a fix...