Answered

Sonos PC app can't individual speaker volumes in a group

• 21 October 2022
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the Sonos app installed on a Windows 11 PC.  I have a group of three rooms that are almost always grouped together.  On the Windows app I can control the group’s volume as a whole, but the individual room volume sliders don’t work, and the icon to mute/unmute is darkened out and can’t be clicked.

For reference I can control individual room volumes on my phone app.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 October 2022, 03:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

There are already several threads about this. In at least one of them, it was reported that Sonos is aware of the issue, and working on it.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue since version 14.18
I see other threads, but they are older, so the same issue has appeared in older versions as well.
While they are fixing that, can they also add a number after each line, like in the mobile app?

I have the same issue since version 14.18
I see other threads, but they are older, so the same issue has appeared in older versions as well.
While they are fixing that, can they also add a number after each line, like in the mobile app?

Sonos has stopped development of the desktop app so there is no prospect of that happening.

Userlevel 1

Sonos has stopped development of the desktop app so there is no prospect of that happening.

I did not see such an announcement, do you have a link to it?

No. I'm afraid not. It was about 5 years ago. It was when Sonos removed almost all the system management functionality from the desktop controller.

Edit - I found the announcement. I am not sure that it contains the words "development of the desktop controller has stopped" but the message is pretty clear

Just adding to the mix. I’ve always had control via my PC Controller App. Only until this most recent update did I notice the error.

I can still use my mobile app normally. If this is a Sonos problem, hopefully it’s a simple update from their end.

I have the same issue and it did appear after a recent update.  The only workaround that I found is to disconnect a speaker from the group, then add it back to the group.  The individual volume slider will appear for that speaker (...but will eventually disappear).

Userlevel 1

Add me to the list.  Not working since last update

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Have the same issue here. My controller software has updated recently. Fortunately can still adjust volumes from my phone.

Wow.. Really starting to question Sonos’s direction and viability at this point.  I hope they can get the software aspect for mobile devices, desktop apps, etc. figured out soon because I own a lot of Sonos products and really want them to succeed and evolve.

Same issue.  Started with update 14.18.  Originally, seemed random drop out of control of individual players.  Now all, are not individually controlled from desktop.  Seems rather stupid to have to get my iPhone or iPad to control playing system in room where my computer has the music library housed.

Not sure I understand that statement. The location of the data being played has no impact. Nor does the location of the controller.

The actual ‘computer’ and ‘program’ running Sonos exists on Sonos devices, and not your own devices. Where the music is stored is merely a location that you tell the Sonos computer to reach out to to get the music. To Sonos, it makes no difference if it’s on a local hard drive, an NAS, a mobile device (android only), or an internet stream.

The controller is merely a remote control to access that program running on the Sonos, and display what’s going on there. 

Me too.

Just started having same problem controlling speakers from PC app but all seem well with the android app. Why is Sonos not letting customers know what the problem is. Are they coming up with a solution?. Come on Sonos we are your customers...speak to us.

Just started having same problem controlling speakers from PC app but all seem well with the android app. Why is Sonos not letting customers know what the problem is. Are they coming up with a solution?. Come on Sonos we are your customers...speak to us.

Sonos PC app can't adjust individual speaker volumes in a group? When will this be fixed?  Seems like this has been an issue for a few weeks now.  Never was an issue prior to that… 😑

If you click on the link provided by @jgatie , you’ll see that Sonos has recognized the issue and is working on it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

So sad!  Sonos breaks a main control function which many thousands of paying customers still use daily/hourly for the PC Controller app, and now state in an email directly from hi-level support team that it’s NOT expected to fix the issue till THE END OF THE YEAR!!!   UNACCETABLE!  

You broke it Sonos, fix it!  

If you click on the link provided by @jgatie , you’ll see that Sonos has recognized the issue and is working on it. 

And that is all the response says.  It does not say when anything will be done or provide any information on downgrading to previous version or provide any useful information about a solution.

Correct. Sonos never gives information about when things will be fixed. Nor have they ever provided a method to ‘downgrade’ their software.

What’s taking them so long?  I have been using a Microsoft Store app called Phonos to control volume from the desktop.  It has a 30 day trial.  It can’t do Sonos setup like adding services, but the individual volume controls work for grouped speakers.

Folks, there is a workaround while we see if Sonos does or does not commit to their Win OS Desktop support.

1. Start SONOS and whatever rooms you select or have playing.
  2. Individually turn each room back off then
  3. Reactivate each room and you will note the volume slider control will now be active/available for each of those rooms that you have off/on cycled.

Insultingly kludgey for the amount of dough you have to shell out for this kit and poor professional form if this sticks as SONOS’ definition of a fix but it works until they real and understand the size of the installed base that happens to have both IoS/Droid and desktop form factors running on the same system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What’s taking them so long?  I have been using a Microsoft Store app called Phonos to control volume from the desktop.  It has a 30 day trial.  It can’t do Sonos setup like adding services, but the individual volume controls work for grouped speakers.

My name is controlav and I support this message :-)

Please, please fix this ASAP, I use the Windows 11 controller all the time, this is lame.  

Same problem here on Windows 10. Using Windows Desktop app version 14.18 (build 70134112)