Answered

sonos not working

• 28 September 2023
  • 5 replies

okay, after years of having Sonos work okay it is now playing up, a lot. Dropping out, iOS and Mac controller not connecting, Spotify unable to add tracks, unable to update Sonos on Mac without reinstalling every time. This is getting annoying and would like it sorted, and before you ask yes I have turned it all off and on again on multiple occasions and reinstalled it and yadayadayada. Make it work, it used to and now doesn't and I have not changed anything. I don't know if there is now an issue between Spotify and Sonos but it wont play any my playlists through the Sonos app but will through the Spotify app but that is only a half-fix. 

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 28 September 2023, 08:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Whilst you’ve not changed anything, the router might have received an update that’s knocked the Sonos kit out of kilter. Or, a neighbour may have a new router or electrical item that’s causing interference on your system. 
Have you tried changing your wifi or SonosNet channels? 

If the ‘neighbor’s router’ issue is enough to disrupt the function of the whole system that makes Sonos a far more fragile system than it used to be. It’s also a transient issue. 

I would suggest instead (based on poor design and performance of the system over the years) that Sonos pushed a bad hardware or software update that messed things up. Again. 

I invested more than I care to think about in my Sonos system so it makes it hard to contemplate spending the same amount of money again somewhere else. The speakers sound great--when i can get them to play music--but Sonos makes really bad software that fails over and over again in different ways. 

The vigor that they expend trying to sell me more speakers might better be spent getting the systems that they’ve sold to perform properly. 

It may seem like I’m foolish for spending the time to write this...but it’s a fraction of the time that I spent this morning trying to get the system to work around the randomly appearing "unable to add songs to the queue" error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It may seem like I’m foolish for spending the time to write this...but it’s a fraction of the time that I spent this morning trying to get the system to work around the randomly appearing "unable to add songs to the queue" error.

Far better to spend your time on a rant than on fixing your networking issues?

Almost any Sonos system can be stable and useful if you are willing to make the effort. Some few places with really bad WiFi issues may need wired but that is rare.

If the ‘neighbor’s router’ issue is enough to disrupt the function of the whole system that makes Sonos a far more fragile system than it used to be.

Not really, but the neighbor’s stuff could be much more aggressive than in earlier times. There’s more stuff on everyone’s network and the older network structure may not be able to cope.

We could offer assistance if you gave us data about your network components and SONOS system.

Except the vast majority of systems run fine, and those which do not are easily fixed with a few easy router changes.  But theres always the stubborn fools who insist it is Sonos and not their network who refuse any help.