Skip to main content

Sonos Music Library Management Issues With Mac

I’m currently using an iMac with macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 with four Sonos Play 1 speakers using Sonos OS S2 version 16.2. After updating, the path to my Music folder no longer appears in the Sonos Music Library Settings nor am I able to reconnect to the Music folder:

When I try the “Advanced” method, I get this - note that the Music Library folder is faded and cannot be selected.

After chatting with a Sonos Support Tech they confirmed that the access to the Mac’s Music Library was removed from the app and while Sonos has been made aware of the problem there is no estimated date as to when access will be restored. I now have a nice collection of Sonos paper weights.

Any other Mac users find the same thing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 1

FYI… I emailed the CEO a while back, and have been getting responses from their assistant. Here is what they said about the access to the Music Library…

In regards to the Music Library to play within the Sonos app (Phone) is not yet available. This will be available soon on your Sonos app, for the meantime please extend your patience as our Engineering Team is working to fix all the features that were temporarily not available.

I thought that might be the case, but good to see it in writing.

Response from CEO’s office sounds like backtracking from a clear move to try to “encourage” users to more profitable areas for the company’s shareholders.  I wouldn’t be surprised to find that the company had recently been purchased by some private equity firm that is trying all possible ways to squeeze value at the expense of brand loyal customers. That, or CEO bonus for short term growth was so juicy that the gamble seemed worth it.  Worst case scenario is that no one actual thought about the impact of removing customers’ access to their own music. Either way, I’d be moving away from both the product or any investment in it. 

This problem is bad.  I spent 5 hours on it tonight.  Exact same problem.  No access to my music folder with Sonos App on a Mac Sonoma.   

Normal companies let you know when there are app updates instead of just throwing them out there in beta mode and hoping to fix the bugs before they loose too many customers.  

Maybe I should have stayed with my Bose system!

Badge

Has anyone seen an official response from Sonos to the 913 issue?  I think the support people are just reacting to what we tell them and what they see on these forums.

I’m have the same 913 error and really upset that they haven’t been upfront with the issue. I spoke with them three weeks ago and they said I had to have Apple disable SMB1. Apple was at a loss, and said that’s not something that a normal user could update and it’s something that would be updated in their server software. 

Userlevel 1

Update / Fix was supposed to happen in June. Nothing now, five days to go.

Update / Fix was supposed to happen in June. Nothing now, five days to go.

Sonos has recently published the following support page to get your local library working again.  Note, the fix requires you to download the PC or Mac app:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Userlevel 1

Just tried, and got the 913 error as well. Any thoughts?

How can this be such a big problem for the EXPERTS at Sonos ??? It took a download to break surely a repair is easy !!!!

I would never recommend Sonos to anyone looking to buy wireless speakers to play music.  Every update fails.  I have to uninstall and reinstall the App to get updates to load.  And now I can’t even listen to my own music library since the last “improvement”.  Terrible company.

Userlevel 1

Finally got my Music Library added. There was one sub-window in the Apple preferences where I had to indicate SMB protocols. I didn’t realize that at first, as well as adjusting the wifi settings as well. Anyway… happy to have access back.