Sonos music indexing - DETAILS (seeking information - I don't have a problem)

• 21 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge

There are various idiosyncrasies I’ve noticed with adding music to my Sonos library, but nothing that I haven’t managed to figure out eventually. However, I’m not able to find a detailed “drilldown” on how Sonos music library indexing works. There might be detailed information in here...somewhere...but a search on the topic only yields problems that people have with adding music.

If anyone has details to share, I would love a deeper understanding of how things work under the cover.

1 reply

The index is essentially a hash scheme which points to a 65,000 element array of tags and a location (filename) for each entry.  Each tag and filename have a maximum number of characters available.  If any of the tags (Title, Album, Artist, Album Artist, Genre, Composer) or the filename exceeds this maximum, the excess is carried over to another entry in the array, taking up another spot in the 65,000.  Sonos used to have a support page that listed the size limits of the individual tags/filenames, but it is long gone, so I can’t give those to you.