Answered

Sonos ignoring volume normalization tags?

• 10 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I have applied track level volume leveling tags to my library.  Tracks play back at same level on computer speakers using MediaMonkey, MusicBee and WMP, but when played through sonos system volume of different albums is all over the place.  When I look at the properties of each file I can see normalization has been applied. 

Leveling was done using MediaMonkey.  Files are either mp3 rips or downloaded from Amazon, not iTunes.

Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 March 2024, 21:38

View original

5 replies

In the distant past, I’ve seen the Sonos Staff mention that a Sonos system/players apparently can and do alter the playback levels using the ITUNNORM or REPLAYGAIN_TRACKGAIN tags in the embedded metadata for a track.

When it comes to general streaming music services though - and this includes things like Plex - it really depends on whether those mentioned tags are passed by the service to Sonos players, or not.

I understand that you can point Sonos to a local Music Library on a NAS or PC etc. and if the tags are present, or you insert them yourself with a Tag editor, like MP3Tag for example, then Sonos will apply the normalisation. 

It’s not something I use, or have personally tested, but if you think this is not working as stated/expected, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue with the adjusted track tags and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

My music library is stored on NAS drive and i can see that volume tag.

Here is ‘perhaps’ a helpful YT video on ReplayGain, so maybe check things with the usual MP3Gain and MP3Tag Apps…

It’s not a feature I choose to use with my own local library tracks, so I can’t comment on what you’re hearing, but as mentioned, you can always go onto discuss the issue with Sonos Support Staff if these things are perhaps not working for you.

Thanks for the input.  Media Monkey does leverage Replay Gain to write to the tag the amount of change required to bring to 89db.  Sonos just seems to be ignoring the tag while the other players are not. 

While I could actually use ReplayGain to analyze/rewrite the gain value of each track, to make playing randomly across albums a smoother experience, i would prefer not to do that as it would change the experience when playing a single album. Will definitely impact anything by the Beatles or a classical album, for instance.  Especially when Sonos is supposed to actually be reading the tags.

The best step @matador7, in that case, is to give Sonos Support a call and see if they can assist you to resolve the issue. Hope you can get it sorted,