Sonos has become useless with the new app installed

• 7 December 2020
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

All system checks, rebbot, re-connect has been perforemed over and over again. I have a rock solid wifi system and everything worked seamless. Until the app was updated. Running the latest IOS and SONOS software. Whats wrong with the new app. The whole system is just annoying. The only way to use the system is by airplay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I would suggest two things. First, try a simple network refresh. Unfortunately, updating software on Sonos can cause issues due to the fact the devices reboot and request new IP addresses from the router. If the router isn’t in a completely healthy state, it’s possible for it to hand the Sonos devices OP addresses already in use, so while devices that weren’t rebooted remain rock solid, the Sonos devices aren’t.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power. While they remain unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, go ahead and plug the Sonos devices back in to power. This forces a reload of both the router’s software, and the Sonos software, and covers many potential issues that might be causing them not to show up for you.

However, if this doesn’t work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

And even if you can’t get to the point where you can submit that report, it would be worth the phone call. There are a lot of advantages to a direct conversation, not filtered through both time and text...

Sonos used to work. That was nice. Then came the corporate fatpigs with their grand plans of developing services that could be monetized. Because why not? And it’s now one the greatest piece of garbage ever. I have the same issues. Disconnect. Always, over and over again. The app doesn’t work, it asks me to log in into a pointless account EVERY TIME i use the app, or a menu, or an option or ANYTHING. And it fails. Rince, repeat, etc.

So what’s the solution? That my network is the issue? That I need to constantly reset the devices? The only thing that now work for me is the soundbar because of the toslink cable. The woofer is useless, the speakers are useless. 

I’m just ranting. I have no interest in fixing your problems. Sonos is a write off. Gone to the bin. And believe me I’m now your best PR machine. 

It’s too bad, you could have sold them at a fair price to someone who is willing to figure out the network issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It’s too bad, you could have sold them at a fair price to someone who is willing to figure out the network issues. 

Was probably the iOS 14 update issue that simply required the Local Network entitlement to be enabled, but we’ll never know now.