Answered

Sonos has become so terrible

Userlevel 2

I’m close to just binning my Sonos speakers. What is going on at this company, that everything has become so terrible?

So recently all my music services became inaccessible on the app, except Bandcamp and Soundcloud. Apple Music, Amazon music, Sirius XM, Pandora, would all fail to load. This has been going on for a while, and reauthorizing did nothing. So I decided to reset my speaker, uninstall and reinstall the app, and try start over. Except after entering my email in the app, I get ‘Something went wrong. Make sure your mobile device is connected to the internet and try again’. It is connected to the internet (and I tried from both ipad and iphone). So now my speaker is just a useless block.

Some years back I used to eulogize Sonos and Synology as the two companies that make tech that made my life both better and simpler; Sonos has really fallen from grace since then.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 30 May 2023, 21:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

In diagnostic mode once you’ve decided that a problem must be [...] or cannot be [...], you are likely to be blindsided. You should play the percentages and for the problems described, the percentages suggest exploring local network issues first.

This Community can be much like a hospital where it seems that “everyone” is sick, but if you look out the window, the world is pretty much business as usual. Pandemic? Maybe. We have suggestions that can vaccinate your system from common illnesses.

One can never rule out hardware issues, but the overall SONOS failure rate is very low. Out of millions of units in the field a few dozen or even a few hundred failures collected in one place can look ominous, but it is actually a very low failure rate. But it’s always a tragedy when MY unit fails.

That said, there are a few cases where hardware failure should be assumed until proven otherwise. The BRIDGE is now at end of life and should be removed from a system before attempting further troubleshooting because BRIDGE failure can cause intermittent, hard to describe local network issues. Always play the percentages.