Answered

Sonos drops wifi when Samsung S22+ sleeps when playing MP3s on phone

• 23 April 2023
  • 6 replies

This is being posted after contacting both Sonos and Samsung support.

Using Sonos and playing MP3s on the phone, after playing until the phone sleeps, the connection stops, stopping the music.  So, the screen is black.  If the phone is then picked up and the lock screen appears, the music connection continues.

I've contacted Samsung support, who feel the issue is with Sonos.  Their reasoning is, the phone stays connected to wifi for mail and text, so why not the Sonos wifi connection.  I have also changed MP3 players with no change in behavior.

Both Sonos Roam and other bluetooth speakers play the MP3s without any interruptions.

Posted internet solutions for Samsung phones provide instructions which do not match my Samsung S22+ options.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 April 2023, 16:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @live the beach 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There is a very similar thread here that may be of help:

Hi,

For both suggested solutions:

1. I have a Sonos Roam, and when linking a Beam and Sonos 1, the music does play continuously but has volume dropping pulses every minute or so, ... another Sonos issue.

2. The maximum time the lock screen can remain on is 10 minutes,  so an impractical method.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @live the beach 

If your Roam has audio interruptions when playing Bluetooth, I recommend rebooting both your phone and the Roam (hold the power button for approximately 12 seconds). If it’s the other speakers grouped in with the Roam that have the interruptions, a resolution might be a bit more involved, but I’d start by rebooting the router too.

Alternatively, some phones have the option to stay awake as long as they are charging at the time - this might be something worth looking into.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

I have already tried the reset and reboot methods.  The Samsung S22+ does not stay awake while being charged.  

I want to restate the issue is with Sonos who should be collaborating with Samsung to determine why the app does not stay active when playing music physically on a phone in sleep mode.  That action would use technology imbedded with mail and texts.  Or, a permission in Sonos or Samsung that would allow onboard phone music to continue when phone sleeps.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @live the beach 

Thanks for the feedback - I’ll pass it along.

Hi Corry,

Perhaps the Sonos app could leave the phone unlocked like when playing a video on YouTube or a Netflix download. 

Thank you