Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos defaulting to one room

Hi all,

is anyone else having trouble since the new update?  We have sonos products in three different rooms in our house, all on same WiFi. Network.

since the recent changes every time we change a track it defaults to the same room even if we haven’t used or changed to those speakers.  We can be playing a track on one set of speakers but in the app it is showing a different track in the what I’ll call the default speakers (our dining room).    So every time we try to change what we’re listening to we have to change back to the speakers we want to use because it keeps defaulting.

my gut tells me this is linked to the new queue system which I think is awful.

anyone else got anything similar going on?  Its making us so frustrated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Yeah it’s a problem that comes up constantly. I haven’t seen that Sonos has even acknowledged it yet. 

@angela2 

I’m just wondering if it’s perhaps the way you’re using the new Sonos App? - Are you sliding up the "room selector” screen first and choosing another room (or the correct room) that you want to play too? See attached example from my iPhone controller. (I hope the attached animation makes sense to you).

Yeah it’s a problem that comes up constantly. I haven’t seen that Sonos has even acknowledged it yet. 

What is the problem seen @Bumper? - I’ve not seen it reported, but maybe I missed that one.

In my own setup here, the controller App always plays the music to the room/group in ‘focus’. I have never seen it play to different room.

My thoughts if that happens, then there is perhaps a ‘device discovery/connection’ issue between the mobile controller device and the chosen player(s). That points to a multicast issue over the LAN, but that’s obviously just a bit of an initial guess on my part.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We’ve had two different rooms playing different music at the same time, have you seen this?  

we are using the app as you say as far as I can tell.  But for example if we have music playing on our roam in our kitchen the room selector will still say we’re playing it in our dining room, even though it’s not.  It just keeps defaulting back to the dining room every time.  So if we then go to change the track it will then automatically plays it in the dining room and we have to change it again.

also, another thing I remembered is happening (as we’re trying to use it) is the volume control.  We change the volume and it has a massive delay before it changes.  Tonight we had to manually change the volume on the speaker to turn it up.  Next track kicks in and the volume is so loud because it’s finally updated.

its a nightmare!

We’ve had two different rooms playing different music at the same time, have you seen this?  

we are using the app as you say as far as I can tell.  But for example if we have music playing on our roam in our kitchen the room selector will still say we’re playing it in our dining room, even though it’s not.  It just keeps defaulting back to the dining room every time.  So if we then go to change the track it will then automatically plays it in the dining room and we have to change it again.

also, another thing I remembered is happening (as we’re trying to use it) is the volume control.  We change the volume and it has a massive delay before it changes.  Tonight we had to manually change the volume on the speaker to turn it up.  Next track kicks in and the volume is so loud because it’s finally updated.

its a nightmare!

This is what I see if I change the volume on a group of 6 Sonos rooms… (attached).

What is the problem seen @Bumper? - I’ve not seen it reported, but maybe I missed that one.

In my own setup here, the controller App always plays the music to the room/group in ‘focus’. I have never seen it play to different room.

My thoughts if that happens, then there is perhaps a ‘device discovery/connection’ issue between the mobile controller device and the chosen player(s). That points to a multicast issue over the LAN, but that’s obviously just a bit of an initial guess on my part.

There are a number of threads. Attempt to play in room B. It plays in room A instead. 

For example 

There are a number of threads. Attempt to play in room B. It plays in room A instead. 

For example 

So the App is defaulting to a different room at the top of the ‘room selector’ on later opening, not the case the music playback is taking place on a different room to the one in ‘focus’?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not sure I completely understand what you’re asking but yes I think so.

Userlevel 1
Badge

For example

here on the attached it says dining room but we were playing I on the roam.

The Dining Room isn’t playing anything in your screenshot @angela2? - so not sure what you mean… you’re just looking at the Dining Room in the App 

In my case the Dining Room isn’t playing, but my Era 100 (called Crows Next) is playing.

If you slide-up the ‘room-selector’ screen in the app, you can see which rooms are currently playing, or not playing.

Select any room to bring it into focus (it will move to the top of the selector screen as you slide down the screen) then you can select some music etc. to play to that chosen room.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s my point, when I slide up it will say  i’m playing in dining room even though I’m not.

Userlevel 1
Badge

As you can see here, dining room is selected but it is playing in the living room.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Now playing the

same song at different times at the same time.

its f*cked.

Oh dear (sigh)… no, that’s not the ‘room selector’ screen, nor is it the ‘now playing’ screen @angela2 - that’s the room ‘grouping/ungrouping’ screen - that’s a completely different screen.

It seems you’ve perhaps not quite grasped how the new Sonos App works - I’d perhaps checkout the App tour available in the App and perhaps play some more with it. It seems to me you are probably confused here with how the new App works. 

You may find this Sonos App user-guide link useful too (perhaps)…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

Yeah agree it’s messed up. Not sure what the disbelief or deflection to local lan is about, been a lot of pats an out it. If you have iOS you could try airplay as a workaround until/if they fix it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

To be fair, whilst I am getting more adept at using it now, there are a few similar looking screens and/or ways to open them. It’s not as intuitive as it needs to be for people of all ages and stages to use it simply….

To be fair, whilst I am getting more adept at using it now, there are a few similar looking screens and/or ways to open them. It’s not as intuitive as it needs to be for people of all ages and stages to use it simply….

I really like the UI, but the UX sucks right now.  Soon when something goes wrong hopefully we will know what the issue is and that it’s not some random bug, cause this app is buggy AF as it stands now. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh dear (sigh)… no, that’s not the ‘room selector’ screen, nor is it the ‘now playing’ screen @angela2 - that’s the room ‘grouping/ungrouping’ screen - that’s a completely different screen.

It seems you’ve perhaps not quite grasped how the new Sonos App works - I’d perhaps checkout the App tour available in the App and perhaps play some more with it. It seems to me you are probably confused here with how the new App works. 

You may find this Sonos App user-guide link useful too (perhaps)…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

You say I haven’t grasped it but I’ve checked out the help as you suggested and it just doesn’t help.  I’m pretty tech savvy but this is pretty shocking. As you can see here this shows playing in dining room.  But it’s not, it’s physitplsying ina other room. 

With some ‘known bugs’ and the (much mentioned) ‘missing features’ aside, I personally find the new Sonos App simple to use. It’s just a little slow in some areas.

It’s almost too simple, perhaps more-so for some long-term S2 Sonos App users. In some instances, it’s ‘intended’ simplicity can lead to taking more steps than were required in the S2 App, which ‘some’ new (unfamiliar) users often described as being complex to use.

The new Sonos App still plays all the audio sources to each/every Sonos room/group here. It is though, different to how the S2 App used to work in some areas. I think any ‘new’ Sonos users will now find it much easier, but it seems it can take some long-term S2 users longer to get used to the way it works to control their products.

The bugs and missing features of course, are also not helping to win ‘hearts and minds’ aswell, but I can still see that the new App has potential and I’m interested to see exactly how it develops in the coming months.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@angela2

On the app’s main home screen, touch Your System in the top left. This brings up all your available speakers.

Select the room/speaker you want to adjust. This then presents you with controls for that room/speaker at the bottom of the home screen.

From there, you can play, pause or adjust volume.
For more controls, you can tap on the shape to open the ‘now playing’ screen, and drag it back down again if you so wish when finished. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Without meaning to sound arrogant. Yes your replies sound sound simple but they they don’t work, hence my post Iin the first place.

Same same. It’s maddening