Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Controller Update Failed. An Unexpected Error Occurred. Please Try Again

• 16 November 2022
  • 53 replies

On MacOS 13.1, running on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Consistent error message when trying to update the MacOS Sonos app (on prompt in app). Only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Very frustrating!

Any ideas how to stop this happening?

Thanks. I was able to reinstall a couple of times, but was reverting to older version. Rebooted. Tried again, and this time finally installing. Thank you! Good luck to all! :)

It may have just been you catching the link in the process of it being updated. 

On MacOS 13.1, running on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Consistent error message when trying to update the MacOS Sonos app (on prompt in app). Only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Very frustrating!

Any ideas how to stop this happening?

Try deleting the application completely. Reboot your Mac, then go to Sonos and download a fresh copy. When confronted, choose ‘join existing system’

Sonos - this problem has been around for a long, long time.  It seems like I’ve had to do updates this way at least for the last 4-5 times, maybe a lot more.

As well as the above updating problems the Sonos app on my MacBook keeps disconnecting from Spotify, so I have to reconnect each time to use it. The previously reliable Sonos system is now a bit of a let down, and very frustrating.

I deleted the old app that would not update. Went to Sonos and downloaded the newer file - which is actually called Sonos Installer now and everything works fine. 

Hi. I have just encountered this ‘Unexpected Error’ message when trying to update my Sonos Controller on a Mac Mini running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1. It’s far from the first time. Looking at this thread the Sonos update problem has been ongoing for months. Quark does not have such a persistent update problem. Nor do other 3rd-party apps. Sonos says it has a controller on my Mac and the update process downloads a separate updater SW program, which fails Apple’s security measures. So I need to download a whole new fresh controller SW package.

Well, no, I don’t want to do this. I just want to play some music and, when I come to do this, Sonos wants me to update its controller and the update process starts and … I have to download the Sonos Controller app all over again! Are you kidding me? By now it’s 30 minutes since I just wanted to play some music. If I had Apple Homepods I would never have to go through what is, frankly, a ridiculously conceived Sonos update process. Get it sorted!

Look, if you think I can be dismissed, consider this. I can use Apple Music to play the album I want through a Sonos speaker set using Apple’s system and bypass the Sonos Controller. Why do I need the controller at all? Apple give me streaming music as well as Sonos. You, Sonos, have to have your controller be better than Apple’s own facilities and, witness this controller update fiasco, it simply isn’t.

Why should I update my Sonos speakers to new models when you can’t even get a basic software update process working correctly?And that after more than 7 months of having the problem exist. Are you nuts? Do you want to see your Mac using customer base increasingly fail to buy new Sonos speakers because the awful update process prevents them pulling the update purchase decision trigger?

You have to provide a fix for this update problem. You just have to. And quickly.

Summed up my feelings on the issue too. It is so frustrating to have to re-install the Controller each time there is an update. When I contacted Sonos about this it seemed to be treated as a minor issue - I expected it to be sorted by the next update but we weren’t so lucky.

It’s a shame to have this issue as, generally, I think the Sonos system is pretty good and have recommended it to others. However, I am now thinking of abandoning the system and trying something else.

The true fix is to go to Settings-->Privacy and Security--->App Management--->Turn on Sonos Installer.   Then you won’t have this update issue anymore and the app will update as intended.  

I did this - see screengrab

And I still got the unexpected error message. So I deleted the current Sonos Installer app, then restarted the Sonis Controller, said yes to update, and …. it worked. Why hasn’t the Sonos’ update process told us to do this or done it itself? What is the matter with these people that it takes 7 months to fix this stupid irritating problem and it’s another user who provides the information needed?

When the update orocess was finished the Sonos installer entry vanisged from the App Management window (in screengrab above). Does this mean I have to go through this process AGAIN when the next update arraives? It sure looks like it. In that case the Sonos controller update process is still brain dead.

I did this - see screengrab

And I still got the unexpected error message. So I deleted the current Sonos Installer app, then restarted the Sonis Controller, said yes to update, and …. it worked. Why hasn’t the Sonos’ update process told us to do this or done it itself? What is the matter with these people that it takes 7 months to fix this stupid irritating problem and it’s another user who provides the information needed?

When the update orocess was finished the Sonos installer entry vanisged from the App Management window (in screengrab above). Does this mean I have to go through this process AGAIN when the next update arraives? It sure looks like it. In that case the Sonos controller update process is still brain dead.

I don’t know -- I don’t have a check box for “Sonos” just Sonos Installer and it works fine for me now.

We know that when you issue an update, that we can delete the app, re-download the new version on your website, re-install and it works until your next update. I called your hotline last year and they said this was temporary, that things were to get back to normal “soon”.

Could you fix things so we can simply update internally from the app, as it was before ? We keep getting this error message (see below). This is not something up to the quality you previously set the bar.

Please Sonos, fix that !

Jonathan

My method works.  Confirmed.  If you fix your MacOS settings you won’t have to do the manual update anymore.

My method works.  Confirmed.  If you fix your MacOS settings you won’t have to do the manual update anymore.

Super, applied it and hope it works with their next update.

Thank you !
Jonathan

This error is still happening as of August 16th, 2023. C’mon Sonos… your dev team sucks frankly. The Mac app has always been janky and updates flakey. This is an enormous hassle.

I’ve been dealing with this for a year. This finally resolved my problem.

MacOS sonos app is complete garbage. Failing to update itself is expected behavior​​​. Super frustrating for what is supposed to be a mature product.

The interface is complete trash too but it’s been unchanged for years so I assume we all got used to it? 

WOW, this week update WORKED after selecting the required items in App Management!! Sonos should actively indicate that in their required update notification, to avoid unnecessary anger among us =)

Fantastic, why isn’t this the number 1 solutions that is given for everyone!

The true fix is to go to Settings-->Privacy and Security--->App Management--->Turn on Sonos Installer.   Then you won’t have this update issue anymore and the app will update as intended.  

please update the resolution on top of this post with the following quote, it’s the correct fix. The original answer listed is outdated and a subpar solution.

If Sonos installer is not showing for you, its buried within the Sonos app. Follow these steps to add it to App Management:

1. Browse your Applications folder, right-click Sonos then choose Show Package Contents
  2. Browse Contents > Resources and you’ll find the Sonos Installer app
  3. Drag the Sonos Installer app into App Management and enable the toggle

Today, 11/18/23, I received this error message and was able to update to Sonos 15.10 by:

• quit sonos
  • dragging the DMG file that Sonos was attempting to use for this installation out of the trash and opening it.
  • dragging the sonos.app icon in the DMG file to the Applications shortcut in the same DMG file

I found many suggestions. This one fixed it for me.

Worked for me - Thank you!