Answered

Sonos Connect can no longer play music after Synology SMB update

Show first post

96 replies

Thanks DuncanF

Downgrading the SMB service sorted the Sonos S1 snag for me.

If you use Sonos S1 players avoid that recommended SMB service upgrade from Synology. If ever there was an example of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” then this was it!

These Notes might help if you’re not familiar with using the direct connection into the NAS:

1// Search for “SSH in to a Synology NAS” for details on how to use PuTTY etc to make the connection.

2// It all works as described, the commands are case sensitive.

3// You have to select the correct SMB file (*.spk) from the list to match the CPU in your NAS which can be found in NAS DSM Control Panel - Info Centre.

4// I had to re-start my NAS after uninstalling the SMB Service before the downloaded one would install.

5// I had to re-start my NAS again after re-installing the SMB Service before it became “enabled”.

6// Some of the steps take quite a while to execute.

Best of luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I too just discovered Denied access VIA smb 1….  

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The SMBService  Parent Directory Lists 10 different versions (.spk) of the previous version of SMB to install…. I use a 920+, and would appreciate any help in determining which SMB Version I should install…

The 920+ uses the Intel Celeron J4125…..  Just not seeing a clear link from it to the replacement choice of SMB File…..

Thanks! 

You’ll need the “...x86...” version.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why would this make a difference as I have been into Synology and ensured that SMB 1 to 3 is available?

What else uses SMB?

Windows file mounts for one. But you can enable SMB3 with the 4.10 pacakge.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Duncan for that little hint!

I’m now encountering the inability to “uninstall” the SMB Service from the Package Center.

I’ve done the following:

For DSM 7.0 and above:

1. Go to Control Panel > File Services > SMB and click Advanced Settings.
  2. Select Force from the Enable server signing drop-down menu to enable it, or select Disable to disable it, and click Save.

However when I go into the Installed Packages, it shows the SMB Service still running, and the “OPEN” Drop-Down only shows “Auto-Update” as a option.

Must be missing something simple….  

marc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hmm. I did nothing more nor less that I laid out above. And for some reason, I had no need to reboot.

Just to be clear, you need to stop/uninstall the service via a Linux terminal, not from the user interface in a browswer. I don’t know if it is even possible to unistall via the UI, hence the need to use a Linux terminal window.

When you stop the service via the command line in a terminal window, you should get a JSON response with loads of 0’s in, which I took to be a good thing. A smaller but similarly positive response when I uninstalled the service from the command prompt.

Now you go to the UI and install the new SMB package via the  Package Manager.

Perhaps it’s not entirely clear. You need to access the NAS’ unix operating system directly using a terminal emulator (e.g. PuTTY) on your Windows PC in order to “stop” and then “uninstall” the SMB Service. You can’t do this from the normal NAS login to DSM.

This direct connection (to the NAS) is referred to as “SSH” (secure shell) or sometimes “using SSH-in”. The Sudo -i command might appear a bit cryptic but this is giving you root access (hence the warnings and requirement to re-enter your password etc).

It’s all OK as long as you follow the commands exactly as DuncanF shows above.

The two commands to “stop” and “uninstall” took quite a while to execute (on my low-performance DS216se) but you should eventually see a lot of gobbledegook including a confirmation of sucess after each command!

When you have completed the two steps to “stop” and then “uninstall” the SMB service, use the command “exit” to leave the terminal emulator.

Now when you log back in to your NAS in the usual way, the SMB service will have gone so you must then re-install it from Package Centre. The point is you must use the “manual install” option to install the older SMB Service that you downloaded NOT the default one which is the recent update that caused all the problems for Sonos S1 users.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, just trying to help out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

But this is just not a solution for many users. We need Sonos and Synology to communicate.

Any Sonos Staff online?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As more of us who use a NAS (Synology in my case) to supply our Music Library’s to our SONOS Systems discover access is now denied, we are again faced with the unintended results of updates that have rendered our systems useless in this way..

Would anyone in the community help those of us who are not familiar and/or comfortable in performing what appears to be a solution using PuTTY?

Having been through this before with similar issues, we need a clearly written STEP by Step Instructional detailing how to perform the Uninstall of the problematic SMB Version using PuTTy.

Screen Captures of each step would be a great addition to its procedure.

I know we would be grateful for anyone who has experience (and success!) in performing this modification in having a method to do this that anyone could attempt.

Thanks all….

Thanks, followed DuncanF’s instructions (expect for the missing space for the sudo -i command) and it all worked a treat. No reboot and only took a a few minutes. I just used the Terminal app on my Mac.

Obvious frustration that Package Centre will keep reminding me the SMB package can be updated, but not as frustrating as not being able to access my Music Library on all my SONOS devices. Odd it effected some ZP120s but not all.

One note, if you have SSH disabled by default (as I do) you need to turn it on for access, and if you want turn it off again when done.

Finally I am not sure who to be annoyed at, Synology for breaking something, or Sonos for not getting a very old protocol standard updated on older devices.

I appreciate the rollback instructions, I was able to do that.  However still no connectivity. Before the rollback I reset sonos user password to the share and also deleted the share paths in sonos in a poor attempt at resolving things.  Trying to re-add those libraries now fails with access denied despite me knowing 100% that the user and password entered are correct. No logging of use Synology side to help so kind of SOL right now.

As has been covered many times in many threads, there is not enough memory available on S1 devices to update the Linux kernel with a newer version of SMB. You can blame Sonos, I suppose, for not inflating the original purchase price of the devices in order to fit more RAM in, if you wanted to. 

I appreciate the rollback instructions, I was able to do that.  However still no connectivity. Before the rollback I reset sonos user password to the share and also deleted the share paths in sonos in a poor attempt at resolving things.  Trying to re-add those libraries now fails with access denied despite me knowing 100% that the user and password entered are correct. No logging of use Synology side to help so kind of SOL right now.

Remember that it won’t work with Sonos S1 unless you have set the SMB parameters correctly in the NAS DSM i.e.

Control Panel - File Services - SMB - Advanced Settings - General - Minimum SMB Protocol = SMB1

and

Control Panel - File Services - SMB - Advanced Settings - Others - Enable NLTMv1 authentication = Ticked

If that dosn’t fix the problem then I’ve no idea!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Access Denied” is an Error Message that can apply to several different access problems, including this SMB issue.

If you successfully rolled back to the earlier SMB Version and still get the “Access Denied” like I did, try setting up a new dedicated user… named e.g. “Sonos” (instead of guest) with a new dedicated Password for your Music Folder.  Setting up a new user for a folder is one I found regarding a different problem on another site.

This worked for me after Synology was kind enough to do the rollback.… after all other attempts doing diagnostics failed after I logged the problem in Support. They will notify the DEV’s about the issue, but realistically they will need to see many complaints logged before the Red Flag to correct the issue is raised. He also mentioned that this SMB issue may not be a BUG, but a Security change.

DuncanF thank you so much for this. I had to remove Active Backup on the Synology since there were dependencies with SMB Service but after that everything worked. I added Active Backup back in after and it is perfect. 
thank you!

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService
synopkg uninstall SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Thanks DuncanF, your tip worked great for me - all Sonos nodes old and new now present and correct!

I found this thread this morning after updating my DS918+ yesterday and not being able to use my Sonos (all S1) Connects. Fortunately I found a solution on Reddit, but I thought I’d paste here for others who have this issue.

The solution is simply to downgrade the Synology SMB package from 4.15.x (Apr-2023) to 4.10.x. I used the final version of 4.10 (4.10.18-0548 dated 22-Dec-2022). You can download individual packages from Synology’s archive here: https://archive.synology.com/download/Package/SMBService

• Login to your NAS using Putty or similar. Stop the SMB service and uninstall it. 
sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService
  • Logon to your NAS in a browser. Go to the Package Centre and click “Manual Install”. Select the package you downloaded and install it.

• Finally go to the Control Panel and re-enable SMB (File Services → SMB). Don’t forget to double check that NTMLv1 is enabled (File Services → SMB → Advanced → Others).

This takes only a few minutes and, for me, it restored my Sonos capability. YMMV. Obviously make sure you have appropriate backups in place.

Duncan

Thank you so much.  Having wasted an hour on the Sonos Helpdesk and 4 days waiting for Synology to respond, this has worked first time.    Your help in sharing your solution is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@DuncanF, I noticed a typo in your fix.

It should be sudo -i (a space after sudo).  Could you edit original post?

Hope this helps others.

Badge

Is the new 7.2 beta RC also affected?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Posted in wrong thread, please delete.

Userlevel 1

sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService

Duncan

Thank you so much.  Having wasted an hour on the Sonos Helpdesk and 4 days waiting for Synology to respond, this has worked first time.    Your help in sharing your solution is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Worked for me. thanks very much!

Userlevel 2
Badge

sudo-i
synopkg stop SMBService

Thanks so much for posting this.  It worked perfectly for me too running a DS920+.  

I’ve raised a support ticket with Synology just to add to others with the vain hope they might issue a fix.  I very much doubt SONOS will do anything as they’ve been trying to move everyone off S1 units for a long time.  However with 6 SONOS amps in the house I simply can’t afford to replace them all.  On top of that they do everything I need them to and I really don’t see a need to replace perfectly operational units.

However I suspect updates like these will eventually render our S1 units unusable…….😞

Badge +4

Thanks! 

I have a Realtek RTD1296 SoC in my Synology DS218play so which package should I use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not sure atm, but try this instead?

Badge +4

Thanks! 

I have a Realtek RTD1296 SoC in my Synology DS218play so which package should I use?

Figured it out, it’s the ARM V8.

@DuncanF - THANK YOU very much! My Sonos and Synology NAS are talking politely once again.