Skip to main content

Sonos competitors for professional luxury systems integrators

• 11 August 2024
  • 7 replies

As a LONG time Sonos Dealer and a Luxury Residential Systems Integrator, I never even ONCE considered ANY Sonos competitors as a legitimate alternative, for myself, or for ALL my clients. Since the new app update this May, I’ve now been considering specifying ANYTHING BUT Sonos for all my ongoing projects. Any integrators out there with great feedback for Yamaha’s Musicast or Harmon’s Denon Heos? Is Bose even poised to strike with Sonos’s recent MASSIVE BLUNDER?

SONOS supports more music services than competitors.

SONOS supports more music services than competitors.

But Sonos app has gone down the toilet…. Doesn’t matter how many services they support if so many are having issues.

NYT Wirecutter recently announced it is working on a new review of wireless speakers to replace Sonos as it's recommended system. Not sure how hi-fi it will be, but maybe worth waiting for.

Just curious: One of the Sonos USPs has been wireless. For professional installs, laying wires cannot be the trouble it is for the normal user. Not having to be wireless dependent inside the house should greatly expand the choice of solutions?

NYT Wirecutter recently announced it is working on a new review of wireless speakers to replace Sonos as its recommended system. Not sure how hi-fi it will be, but maybe worth waiting for.

@scottvans 

and if you’re willing to wait for that, you might as well wait for the app fixes which are rolling out by October.

However, if you’re a professional installer, there’s a good chance you recommended and installed Sonos for people rather than them demanding you use Sonos. So now your recommendation is the problem and your reputation will have suffered. 

The type of people that use such installation services are not interested in what Sonos have done, they’re interested in what you, their installer, is going to do to fix it. So Sonos maybe fixing their app by October is of little help. 

I’d imagine right now there are a lot of installers with quite angry customers who may well not use them for any repeat business and will also tell their friends too. 

I feel really sorry for the installers as they are caught between a rock and a hard place which is not of their making. 

I’d imagine right now there are a lot of installers with quite angry customers who may well not use them for any repeat business and will also tell their friends too. 

I feel really sorry for the installers as they are caught between a rock and a hard place which is not of their making. 

There is a Sonos Installers group on Facebook, and many opinions are as you speculated.

There is also a private group for these folks on this very site, somewhere, but I don’t know what kind of conversations go on there.