Question

Sonos can't find my music library on multiple devices, never will. But my phone just might?

• 25 October 2020
  • 1 reply

I’ve had a couple of Sonos speakers for 2 years. Have streamed from Spotify etc, but have never been able to play my music library. I can identify the folders etc, but when I try to play a library track, Sonos skips over it.

The Sonos app is up to date. I have changed my router (and internet supplier, when I moved house) and completely replaced all devices (2 macbook airs, an HP desktop). None has ever worked, I’ve learned to live with it.

BUT… recently, by accident, I managed to play an mp3 track stored on my Android (Samsung Galaxy) phone, from a Whattsapp folder. I’ve added other files to that folder, but doesn’t work. I’ve put files in the phone’s Music folder, as Sonos suggest. No joy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Jim K-K, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community. 
I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help and try to figure this out.

First, I'd like to ask questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

On music library

1. Since you have replaced your devices (2 MacBook Airs, an HP desktop), have you tried removing and re-adding your music library?
  2. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder?
  3. Have you configured your computer firewall to work with Sonos? 
  4. If you have an antivirus installed on your Windows PC, you may check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.

On this mobile device

• We have identified that Sonos unable to play music from Android devices due to how the Operating system works. Playlists from the native music application on the Android device won't necessarily be available via "on this device" though Sonos.
  • We are always working to improve the functionality. We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do. In the meantime, you can use a third-party music app to manage your stored music. 

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.