SONOS APP will not fully load when phone is on LAN and Beam is on IOT

• 3 January 2023
  • 9 replies

My SONOS APP will not fully load when my phone is on my LAN network and my beam is on my IOT network.  In order for the SONOS APP to fully load and see my beam, I have to put my phone on the IOT network, which the beam is already on.

I do have some firewall rules in place:

1. Allow established and related
  2. Allow LAN to Anywhere
  3. Block inter-vlan traffic

The strange part about this is that if my phone is on my LAN network and my beam is on the IOT network, I can still use AirPlay via Apple Music to play music through my beam.  However, if I try to access the SONOS APP to play music through my beam, the APP will not fully load and I receive the following message, “Unable to connect to Sonos.  Let’s fix it.” and “Unable to find your Sonos system.”

Any reason why I’m not able to use the SONOS app to play music through my beam if my phone is on my LAN network and my beam is on the IOT network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos requires the app and the Sonos devices to be on the same subnet, as it uses SSDP to find the devices (among other requirements).

If you search for Ubiquiti on here you should find folks who have come up with complex configurations that allow Sonos to work between VLANs, but it doesn’t look easy.

Sonos requires the app and the Sonos devices to be on the same subnet, as it uses SSDP to find the devices (among other requirements).

If you search for Ubiquiti on here you should find folks who have come up with complex configurations that allow Sonos to work between VLANs, but it doesn’t look easy.

If I decided to move away from Sonos, is there another product that doesn’t require the app and devices to be on the same subnet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So your IOT products can only be reached from outside of your normal network? I would not expect any consumer grade products to work like this. Most of this stuff depends on a direct connection between your phone and the device.

Badge +20

I can confirm that Bluesound devices needs to be on the same subnet as the controller and any local music on a NAS / share.

I went ahead and created a 4th firewall rule - Allow SONOS to LAN via a Port/IP Group with all my SONOS devices included.  I moved this firewall rule above the Block Inter-Vlan Traffic.  As a result, I can now use the SONOS app when my phone is on my LAN and the devices are on the IOT network.  When I’m not using the SONOS app, this rule will be disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I went ahead and created a 4th firewall rule - Allow SONOS to LAN via a Port/IP Group with all my SONOS devices included.  I moved this firewall rule above the Block Inter-Vlan Traffic.  As a result, I can now use the SONOS app when my phone is on my LAN and the devices are on the IOT network.  When I’m not using the SONOS app, this rule will be disabled.

Glad you figured it out, but then what is the point of putting them on their own VLAN?

Don’t think I would want to change the firewall rules each time I used/stop-using my Sonos speakers - I would personally soon get quite fed up of doing that. 

Glad you figured it out, but then what is the point of putting them on their own VLAN?

Good question.  I have more than just SONOS on the IoT network.

Don’t think I would want to change the firewall rules each time I used/stop-using my Sonos speakers - I would personally soon get quite fed up of doing that. 

This is true.  However, if I keep my original firewall rules in place without the new one, I can still use the speakers with Apple Music.  I just won’t be able to use the SONOS app unless I have that new rule in place.