Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos App Suddenly Crashing Repeatedly

Starting this morning (7/17) the Sonos Android app is just repeatedly crashing. It’s been generally terrible and barely usable since the redesign, but now it’s literally useless. Just immediately crashes. No updates were installed to the app or phones, and nothing else has changed in my system. I’ve tried force stopping, clearing cache, clearing all storage, and completely uninstalling & reinstalling. The Windows desktop app still works, but both phones we have are seeing this issue. Anyone else seeing this and/or know a workaround?

Sonos App v80.04.05-release+20240702.edb3233

Android 14, Kernel 5.10.198 sec patch level July 1, 2024

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @OmegaZero, many Android users are reporting the same. The ‘trigger’ was installation of the v16.3 firmware on 16 July. No known workaround, hopefully the next version of the app will do the trick?

See this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/sQRnuW0MLW

Use the Windows App, be sure to have no local library songs playing/chosen and the app will open again

Thanks, both. Sad how shockingly bad Sonos has become.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks @Crash3ooo, that kinda-sorta works! Which is to say, it allows the Android app to function until you try to play anything from a local library, at which point it crashes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well just discovered the same issue, Android Sonos app continuously crashing.

Cleared the queue on the device that had a library file still listed. Lo and behold the app started.

I don’t want to be one of those internet keyboard warriors that moans online about how bad Sonos is. BUT this last update nearly made my system unusable. What about people who don’t use the desktop app?

Maybe it’s a ploy… If we make a local music library completely unusable people will give up and subscribe to Spotify / Tidal / Youtube Music / Amazon Music etc he he he mwah ha ha hah haaaaaaaa.

THANKYOU to @Crash3ooo for at least giving me a fix / workaround.

I think this is a firmware update problem as well as an app bug. I used the new Sonos app for Android for about a month, was able to access my music library with no problem. Then I noticed a pair of old Play:3 speakers were offline -- they may have gone offline with the initial app update, but I’m not sure. Anyway, I brought the pair of Play:3s back online and the app forced an update on the speakers before they could be added to my devices. They appeared to work normally after the update and the app appeared stable. I used a couple of services - music and podcasts.

Then I attempted to access my music library -- and ended up with the results everyone else is reporting here. I took my updated Play:3 pair offline and still no luck. Uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted all the devices, no luck.

I’m a Linux professional and don’t have a Windows machine in the house, so please don’t recommend using the Windows app to re-set to online services and work around the music library bug. I just want to know when a CLEAN control app will become available for Android.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’m a Linux professional and don’t have a Windows machine in the house, so please don’t recommend using the Windows app to re-set to online services and work around the music library bug. I just want to know when a CLEAN control app will become available for Android.

Hi @jwreese0, consider using the web app to clear the queues in the weak workaround …

Just got off the phone with tech support -- their workaround was extremely simple and worked for me: Just shut off the music library device, then reboot the entire system (except the music library device, of course). I’m limited to online services until an updated app becomes available.

Thanks for the help here, fixed as described.

Just to reiterate you can use the Windows app or play.sonos.com to clear the local music library queue.

Not good.

You can use the website on mobile but you need to put chrome into desktop mode.

I use local music all the time, this is a real pain and needs an urgent fix.

Gav 

Same issue. Just downloaded Windows app to try and get my Library working again. Works just like it used and just like version 16 running on an old phone (that I have upgrades turned off). My library was working on my phone with the new app prior to downloading the win app but I could not re-index. Re-indexed in the win app and now - crashes on the mobile, even with an empty queue in windows. Have yet to shutdown the win pc and reboot everything else.

This mobile app and likely all the hardware that goes with it, is circling the drain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Same issue. Just downloaded Windows app to try and get my Library working again. Works just like it used and just like version 16 running on an old phone (that I have upgrades turned off). My library was working on my phone with the new app prior to downloading the win app but I could not re-index. Re-indexed in the win app and now - crashes on the mobile, even with an empty queue in windows. Have yet to shutdown the win pc and reboot everything else.

Hi @Iamel, be sure to clear all queues on all Sonos devices. When you try to start the Android app, it is hard to say exactly which Sonos device it loads, hence the need to clear all the queues.

See this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/sQRnuW0MLW

Use the Windows App, be sure to have no local library songs playing/chosen and the app will open again

Wow, the specific description is exactly what I'm experiencing.  Stability needed for certainty, please 

Thanks @press250 I was playing a library queue to 2 speakers. I cleared the queue on one but the crash still happens. I had to select the 2nd speaker in the win app and clear that queue as well, then I can open the Android app.

Something has changed in the last week though (but not the Android app version). I used to be able to play my NAS based library tunes from the Android app (setup back when the 16.x app worked). Play only, no queue managment (indexing), or adding to the queue etc, but I could select something and play it, skip, pause, control volume from the droid app. Now, I get the app back up by clearing queues in windows but if I play something from my library, from the droid app, the queued album plays but the app goes into it's crash loop, and the music plays on. No control, other than touching the speakers themselves. So when the songs over, I'll start up the laptop, clear the queue, rinse and repeat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Something has changed in the last week though (but not the Android app version). I used to be able to play my NAS based library tunes from the Android app (setup back when the 16.x app worked).

Yup @Iamel, you got it: the v16.3 firmware dropped earlier this week and that triggered the memory corruption that results in the Android app crashing. The bug was obviously in the app since its release the first week in July, tho’ some interaction with the device firmware changed in a bad way.

Sorry for elementary question but my mobile app was working fine until I tried to play local library file. Now the app crashes on startup. I am reading to clear the cache but the app does not stay on long enough to do that, so how do you do it. I went to Sonos.com and signed in but I do not see a way to clear cache there either. Can someone help?

@Divepix, the only way I know of doing this right now is by using the windows app to clear the queues that you set up from your phone, so if you haven't yet, you'll need to install the win app (sorry linux users, and I have no idea about the mac world). Unfortunately this current state means you can no longer play your library music from your phone as it will result in the crash cycle. You can play your library from the windows app just like you used to.

Thanks. I downloaded app on laptop, deleted my library and cleared queue and things are back to normal. Sucks I can't play my library though. 

@Divepix you don't have to delete the library, or at least not a NAS based library (there may be other issues with libraries of phone based music) if you're willing to play it from the pc. You just can't use your phone to control volume etc while you do that. If you want to stream music, then the app should work (AFAIK , I don't stream that much)

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use Sonos to play from a MyCloud hard drive device. It now crashes immediately. I've uninstalled it from our Android phones and Android tablet. This is really disappointing and renders our Sonos unusable. The new App is dreadful, please bring back the old style one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I use Sonos to play from a MyCloud hard drive device. It now crashes immediately. I've uninstalled it from our Android phones and Android tablet. This is really disappointing and renders our Sonos unusable. The new App is dreadful, please bring back the old style one.

Hi @AmyVCT, it sounds like you’re encountering last week’s snafu … if so, the good news is yesterday’s update of the Android app fixed the bug. Download the very latest from Google Play and give it a shot.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Press250 you're right! Reinstalled it all and App now works!