Answered

Sonos app prompts to update but no update available

• 24 February 2023
  • 19 replies

As of today 24th February the Sonos app on my iPhone and iPad prompt that an app update is available. However when I go to the App store I am running the latest available version of the app. 

I am running S2 version of the app on version 15.1 which is the version available on the App store. All my Sonos devices are running 14.20.2 Build 70437250

I tried removing the app completely and then downloading it reconnecting and logging in but it prompts again that an app update is required but it is running the latest version already.

Finally on my wife’s android tablet the same thing happens.

icon

Best answer by Kenv 27 February 2023, 21:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Just to update. I checked my Windows PC which was running 14.2 S2 Sonos Controller. Checking for updates in the controller showed none outstanding but I downloaded the latest version and installed it and behold it is version 15.1. Then checking for updates it offered them for the rest of my system, but in view of the debacle with that, and as I run from a Boost I decided to leave that for another day!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Would the app not mean an update to the system is required?

No the app on iPad and iPhone just took me to the App store, so it was a perpetual loop taking me back to the App store. And it was the same on Android. 

Windows did however indicate that it was a system update I needed, but like I said I’ll save that for another day.

Exactly the same symptoms here. Anyone got a fix yet? Thanks

Read all about the issues with 15.1 at 

Hmm. Tried updating the controller to 15.1 on my Mac then there was an update which applied ok. But still the same scenario - finding the Update Available pop up on my iOS devices. Can’t modify any settings without it springing up. Did this recent update go through any thorough testing before unleashing it onto the poor customers? Seems not  

There is frequently two ‘parts’ to an update, the first tends to be the controller on your device. If you have multiple controllers (I have three iOS and two Macs), each need to be done separately. The second part is the update of the software/firmware running on the speakers. Sometimes, I’ve had to run this more than once, it tends to fail sometimes on an Arc (and frustratingly, not all the time, which makes it harder to chase down), but when I run that update a second time, it always finishes. 

The problem is the iOS updates install the latest updates on the iOS devices but then get into a loop prompting to update the app even though it is now on the latest version and so does not move on to updating the Sonos players. However given the issues with the Boost not getting the message back to the app that its’ update has worked I am content to sit on the sidelines until this is sorted.

In my own experience, that’s a challenge due to the various and apparently random speeds at which Apple updates the various ‘stores’ that we, as users, download from. It was always a challenge for my folks to determine ‘when’ to set that flag on our servers, when the US was updated, but other Apple Stores were lagging. I’d imagine Sonos has a similar issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have the same problem and Sonos Customer Support (via chat) has been unable to fix it. 

The Sonos app (on android phone & PC) says my system must be updated but also says the app must be updated first. But the app is already the latest version (15.1). So I can't update my system and my system won't work properly without being updated. Many functions are greyed out in the app and I can't add back any reset speaker (reset to try to fix the problem but now un-usable).

I was asked to call Sonos Customer Support phone agents for further assistance but I am not able to be at home with the system during their working hours (Monday to Friday from 9am) and they can't help me if I'm not at home with the system.

I will never buy another Sonos product.

Interestingly, the controller on my iPad was on 14.2 and everything worked correctly however after applying the update to 15.1 I have the same symptoms as on the iphone. It looks like this issue is solely down to this update and nothing else. 

I hope that the engineers jump on this and get a solution out as a matter of urgency.

Another day but the problems remain. It would seem that Sonos have to tweak the app so that it recognises it is running on the latest version and also so that it picks up the messages from the units, particularly the Boost that have successfully updated.

Further update. I thought I would try updating the system from my Windows controller which I have updated to 15.1.

Well this does what the iOS controllers did by sticking in a loop where it tries to update the windows app to 15.1, this fails despite the controller already being at 15.1 with the only option being to retry or give up. Choosing the later option the  controller opens and is at 15.1

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

In Australia, Sonos must provide a refund due to the speakers not having acceptable quality and not being fit for purpose. I bought my Sonos speakers to be a home theatre system but it's now impossible to connect my Play:1’s with firmware 15.1 to my Beam (connected to my TV) with old firmware 14.20.2. The controller will either only operate the Beam or the Play:1s (under different Sonos accounts) so the system is not doing what it was bought for. It's impossible to update my Beam to version 15.1 - I have tried multiple times, including clearing the app cache and storage, deletion/reinstallation of the app, rebooting the speakers, resetting the speakers, rebooting my router, changing router settings, refreshing the speakers' IP addresses, switching off private DNS and vpn, reverting to app version 14.20 via its APK and retrying an update, and several other more complex things, and nothing has made any difference. For information about consumer rights and the refund, see www.accc.gov.au/consumers/problem-with-a-product-or-service-you-bought/repair-replace-refund-cancel

Quick update, I just had another go at the update. This time it worked , no prompting about the app which is already running on 15.1. It just went ahead and updated everything, apart from my Roam. I run my system using a Boost which updated quickly and without issues. Once the first run of updates had completed, in about 3 to 4 minutes at most, I ran it again to update the Roam and that went through in about a minute.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Well done Ken. I have tried the update literally 50 times and it has always failed. But I checked this morning and see that my Beam is now version 15.1. However I can't add it to my Sonos account because it doesn't appear after I transferred my Play:1’s (on version 15.1) back to my original account (from the account set up to operate them when my original account failed due to the 15.1 update loop). I have to reset my Beam to detect it. But I don't want to do that because it took me ages to set it up with Alexa and my TV and I just can't go through that again. WHY IS SONOS SO RIDICULOUSLY BAD??

There are clearly still issues with 15.1 as my Boost shows as updating, but if I log out of my account it shows that it is running on 15.1 and doing what it is supposed to do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I eventually transferred my 2 Play:1:s to my Sonos account with the Beam (but couldn't do it via wifi, had it buy a cable - why doesn't wifi work for adding speakers??) however my Play:1’s kept disappearing after being successfully added. It took 6 attempts with 6 factory resets but, in the end, I could only connect one of the Play:1’s to my home theatre system (which is useless because surrounds need 2 Play:1’s) and had to link the other one to a separate room (my office) because it refused to use wifi in my TV room. It makes no sense but that's what I had to do. Nothing makes sense with Sonos! (Is that their slogan? Should be.) The Sonos fixing process made me turn off my router 4 times for no benefit but with lots of problems caused for my wireless home security system and smart devices which all had to be individually reinstalled 4 times. I wasted 3 hours on this today, added to the 6 hours wasted yesterday (due to the version 15.1 infinite loop problem). That's why I hate Sonos. I will never spend another cent on Sonos.

As of today 24th February the Sonos app on my iPhone and iPad prompt that an app update is available. However when I go to the App store I am running the latest available version of the app. 

I am running S2 version of the app on version 15.1 which is the version available on the App store. All my Sonos devices are running 14.20.2 Build 70437250

I tried removing the app completely and then downloading it reconnecting and logging in but it prompts again that an app update is required but it is running the latest version already.

Finally on my wife’s android tablet the same thing happens.

But in android updated i got is regular and also subscribe for Beta version that’s why i got update early may be. So latest version is important. Because latest version remove all bug from app.