Skip to main content
Question

Sonos App - Horrible?

• 12 July 2024
  • 7 replies

I see a lot of posts about the Sonos app missing features (compared to older versions), and some posts about App responsiveness, and general malfunction.  Here’s my experience on Android (this all used to work great before the update to the newer app earlier this year, I keep thinking it’s going to improve if I wait.)

• When I open the app it normally takes 5 to 30 seconds for the app to connect to my system
  • Sometimes the app doesn’t connect to my systems at all (restarting might help)
  • Sometimes the app only partially connects to my system (I can see streaming services, but can’t press any function buttons like play)
  • When the app does finally connect, it is slow/sluggish
    • Volume changes are slow or don’t respond
    • Turning on and off different speakers in my system are slow or do not respond
    • Selecting play for various music are slow or do not respond
    • Changing to different tracks or albums is slow or does not respond

Is there anything to do here?   Other than wait with “hopes and prayers” that Sonos deals with this?  I have one Move that I can change to Bluetooth, but the other speakers I cannnot (and of course changing to bluetooth looses the whole point of the Sonos system).  

I wish they would just enable casting again. or allow third parties to develop their controller.

I was looking at competitors to Sonos, and there isn’t much that is great.

Thank you.

7 replies

Is there anything to do here?  

Delete the new crappy app. Download and install 16.1 app. Turn off auto updates in the app and app store.

Come back in 12 months and check if it’s safe to update yet 🤣

It seems incredibly convoluted to roll back. Mare there step by step instructions somewhere?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I copied this from another post….. it’s easier than it probably sounds, and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (I reverted to 16.1 the day the new app came out in May and have not dared to upgrade yet!).

“For everyone trying to go back to the previous version. From a fellow forum user, use the steps he describes below. It worked for me and. This is for Android users. First remember to uninstall the existing Sonos app from your phone. 

“Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.””

Many thanks, I'll try it tonight!  Appreciate the extra effort.

For what it's worth, I tried the exact steps here. After the older appmis installed and opens I connect to my Sonos system and everything is great. But then the app opens and says an application update is required and all of the app items are blanked out.

For what it's worth, I tried the exact steps here. After the older appmis installed and opens I connect to my Sonos system and everything is great. But then the app opens and says an application update is required and all of the app items are blanked out.

Sonos effectively gave users the middle finger by deleting 16.1 ability to control the system with current firmware. If you’ve updated to 16.3 firmware you can’t use 16.1 app. 

If I thought any of the Sonos people actually cared I guess I might post that my next steps are to ditch the Sonos system for something else. Maybe I still will. Really sad. 

I appreciate you trying to help.