Skip to main content
Question

Sonos App - Difficulty Switching Between Separate Systems (Home & Work)

• 31 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Problem:

• Sonos app doesn't automatically recognize separate Sonos systems on different wifi networks (home and office) even if they are under the same account. The app will ask me to go to "System settings" to "Join this system" an existing system every single time i come to home or work.

Desired outcome:

• Seamless switching between Sonos systems at home and work within the Sonos app (the app should be able to remember more than 1 system).

Information:

• Separate Sonos systems (different locations, not connected on the same network).
  • Automatic wifi switching on phone (connects to work wifi when at work, home wifi when at home).
  • Going through the hazel of joining the system in settings works but is extremely annoying.

Any suggestions or workarounds appreciated!

Notes:

• I have seen the mentioning of Sonos “Households” but can not find it in the settings.
  • I have read that the app should be able to switch between known system if it is closed (as opposed to being kept active) on the phone between connecting to the networks, but mine does not

Sonos App: 80.01.08-release+20240525

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I experience this every day. I own 5 sonos systems in different households; I switch between two of them every day and the others more occasionally. So every day I end up with

“Your system not found” at office
“Your system not found” at home

Every day, I get this dialog twice a day - once when I arrive at each location.

I’ve deleted the SONOS app from my phone and reinstalled it, since that often wipes out silly internal data problems like this, but that did not help.

I have had two systems in two homes for years and it has pretty much always recognized the system automatically. Before the last update, it was a little glitchy… would take maybe 5 seconds, vs instantly, but it did recognize the correct system. 

However, with he most recent app version 80.05.04, it completely fails to do that. Like other users, I have to ‘tell it’ to connect to WiFi. I plan to reach out to Spotify to see if there is a fix or if it is a bug they are working on. 

So frustrating…  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use SonoPhone. Like all third party apps (including mine), it doesn’t care if you change locations.