Skip to main content
Answered

SONOS App and UX

• 30 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I have spent around 4 hours on and off today on the following:

• first I bought a 5 Gen 1 which I had to use a different app from the new SONOS app for
  • then I bought a 1 Gen 2 which I could use on the new SONOS app but I wanted them both on the SONOS controller app

The SONOS app told me I could downgrade the Speaker 1 from Gen 2 to Gen 1 so I spent around 90 minutes repeatedly following the instructions to the downgrade facility.

Eventually I contacted Customer services who told me that this feature doesn’t exist…..yet. As part of that discussion they told me “Despite the challenges we're facing, our team remains resilient and focused on finding solutions.” which had nothing to do with what were were talking about.

So THERE IS NO DOWNGRADE FEATURE DESPITE BEING TOLD ONLINE AND IN-APP THAT THERE IS A DOWNGRADE FUNCTION.

I now have 2 speakers, 2 apps and only one (the SONOS Controller) works on my Mac.

The entire set up is a total mess. I do not know who has written it but if they spent more time talking to users and using some good ol’ fashioned commonsense, they would be way more useful to people.

Every time you surf around in the new app I also notice you are a nano-click away from being offered new products which are not only more expensive than they need to be now, but even if you can afford them, they don;t work with their own software.

If you can make the software work, you cannot believe a thing that is written down.

I have rareley come across such a mixed up mess or a morass in my life. It will take a lot to unpick this lot and that will distract the developers from getting ahead of the fast-approaching competition.

Sonos used to be brilliant - great and affordable top tier products on a par with Bose and B&O with a slick and simple app that linked effotlessly to Spotify and other music, plus a nifty in-built radio function. 

When you connected to your speakers, it happened first time and off you went. At one level it was almost fun setting it up as it was so simple.

But now its a pile of poo. Its lost all its functionality and simplicty and should be avoided at all costs. Its truly awful and whoever is in charge should be shown the door.

Poor you, Sonos. You have thrown it all away!

/dm

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Did you upgrade the firmware on the One to the latest version with the new app?

If no, then do you have another device with the old S2 app on it? If you do, you can use that device to downgrade the One to the S1 app.

When this update rolled out, I made the decision to update a single device incase something went wrong. I am glad I did, because although it may be an inconvenience to go to my desktop to edit things, I cans then use the new app to control my system.

Thank you for this. I have ended up with SONOS app for the 1 Gen2 and Sonos S1 for the 5 Gen1. Sadly they do not synch so whilst I wanted a seamless sound experience round the house, its a frankensonos solution for now.