Answered

Sonos and Synology BeeStation

• 19 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Just bought a Synology BeeStation and tried to connect Sonos to it but I keep getting the error “Unable to add the music share //192.1.168.1.112/Music”.  Tried on my Mac and my iPad but get the same error. My Sonos devices are using the S2 OS as are my Mac/iPad applications. I have been using a Synology DS214se for many years and Sonos connects to it no problem.

I contacted Synology support but they seem to think it is down to my Mac/iPad using smb1 instead of smb2 or smb3. They suggest I disable smb1 on my devices but that seems rather drastic.

Anyone else managed to get Sonos talking to a BeeStation?

icon

Best answer by bjcc54 20 April 2024, 16:13

View original

6 replies

It sounds like the folks you spoke to don’t understand how Sonos works. It doesn’t run through your Mac, the connection is from your speakers to the NAS.

I’m not familiar with the BeeStation, unfortunately. Do you have a link to its operating manual? Since you’re running S2 on your Sonos device, that means the Linux operating system that runs on your Sonos devices is attempting to use SMBv2 or v3 to connect to your NAS. And since it works on the DS214se, my suspicion naturally goes to a setup issue in the ‘BeeStation’, in that it isn’t using the correct version of SMB…but since I am completely unfamiliar with this device, that’s merely a guess. 

Hi, Thanks for the response. Here is a link to theBeeStation software specification. It appears to support smb2 and smb3. Could it be that I’m getting the server name wrong. I’m setting it up as a network device on the Sonos app and I’m typing in \\BeeStation\Music or \\192.168.1.112\Music. The app accepts either then requests username and password and I just type in the credentials for the BeeStation. Also tried forward slashes but makes no difference.

Sorry, forgot the link.

https://bee.synology.com/en-uk/BeeStation/software-specs#beestation-system-settings

Thanks. Still reading through it, but the key thing that I see is:

• Supports accessing locally using a local IP and a local account via a web browser or SMB when the Internet is down

You’ll want to use that local IP address, and not a ‘cloud based’ address. 

Seems like this device is normally made for use as a ‘cloud’ server, more than a true NAS, which makes it less than ideal, for Sonos’ purposes. Sonos wants to use your library on the NAS side, and not the cloud side. 

I’m somewhat concerned about that phrase ‘when the Internet is down’. Does that mean the local IP access is not available when there is internet? 

I’d call Synology and ask them, too. Not having access to your network, I have no idea whether that address you’ve provided is correct, or not.

You may benefit from submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and calling Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. Or, they may be somewhat more familiar with this device, and have some more intelligent advice to give.  

While you attempt to setup and index the library, try setting the drive to SMBv1.

Managed to get it sorted. When I created the music folder on the BeeStation I did not realise it was buried down in \\BeeStation\home\Files\Music. Once I typed in the correct path Sonos connected immediately. Thanks all for your assistance.