Answered

Sonos and Spotify stopped working

• 14 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Within the past week all Sonos and Spotify functions have stopped working on all my iOS devices - iPhone 12 and MacBook Pro.

In Sonos any station or music I try to play gives an “unable to connect” message.

In Spotify I can see all the devices (speakers; PlayBar, Play 5, Connect) and can play directly on the iPhone or MacBook, but when I try to connect to a device (speaker) it shows “connecting” but never connects.

Router has been restarted several times. Both Sonos and Spotify apps have been deleted and reinstalled, all to no effect.

Help please? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 May 2023, 03:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Have you rebooted the Sonos speakers, with a power cycle? If so, then I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you. I tried doing a system diagnostic several times, and get a message saying “There was a problem sending the diagnostic information to Sonos.”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Was chatting with Sonos help, rebooter router again and power cycled all Sonos devices. All now seems to be reconnected and working again, also was able to get a diagnostics report and send it to Sonos this time. 

Thank you!

Ouch. That’s a pretty good indication that your speakers are not able to appropriately communicate with the outside world at all, or are certainly blocked from specific websites. 

You’re not running any VPN, virus or Trojan protection, or MS Defender, by any chance?

Your best bet is to call in, without the diagnostic, the folks should be able to troubleshoot your connection issues ‘blind’, until they can get you connected, and then see some hard data. 

Heh. Snuck that one in on me. Glad you’re up and running!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ouch. That’s a pretty good indication that your speakers are not able to appropriately communicate with the outside world at all, or are certainly blocked from specific websites. 

You’re not running any VPN, virus or Trojan protection, or MS Defender, by any chance?

Your best bet is to call in, without the diagnostic, the folks should be able to troubleshoot your connection issues ‘blind’, until they can get you connected, and then see some hard data. 

Yes, I have been running Intego antivirus on the laptop, and 1Blocker on the iPhone. It turned out what was needed was a power cycle and reboot in a specific sequence. Disconnect router and all Sonos devices, then power up the router, and after it’s established its WiFi connection, only then power up the Sonos devices (along with clean reinstallations of Sonos and Spotify apps). 

Makes me long for the simple days of my old Marantz amp and receiver, and Vienna Acoustics speakers. All it took for the system to work was literally plugging in the thick Monster cables. No access to internet music of course, but incredibly easy to troubleshoot. 

Thanks again!