SONOS and APPLE don't seem to get along

• 23 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I had my Sonos years - Play 5 as stereo pair. Gen 1 and now gen 2.  This process has not been with out issues. Now again - I have gone weeks with it being completely non-functional from an apple perspective, no changes have been made to my set up. When I try to play a song from Apple Music, it would sometimes start and play the first 10 seconds and then stop and say that it cannot connect to Apple Music or it may say this from the start. Other times I will try to add a song and it just says "cannot add music to queue"  I have power cycled the speakers, the modem, the wifi. Nothing seems to make any difference.  I have installed the app and re installed - I have checked all settings. The Tunein-radio works, Sonos radio works, my line in to my turntable works - this is specifically an issue between the sonos and apple interface. 

Everything else in my house works. I can stream 4k video in any room in the house. I can stream apple music from several different appliances in my house. (JBL, Sony, Bose, Marshall and several headsets and ear buds/pods. 

Please help.

Diagnostic number. 868555357

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @daghdaireland

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We appreciate all your effort in performing all the steps that you mentioned to resolve the issue. Let me help you with this.

Based on the diagnostic, shows wireless interference in your Sonos system and it's caused by poor wireless conditions. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space.  You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video. Also, audio playback failure was detected. This is the reason why you can’t play selected content or unable to add tracks to the queue.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps to help you out.

1. Separate stereo pair on your Sonos Play 5.
    • Open the Sonos app for iOS and Android.
    • From the Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap the room with the stereo pair.
    • Tap Separate Stereo Pair and follow the in-app instructions.
    • Test music playback and adding song on each speaker.
    • If the issue is the same, proceed to the next step
  2. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test music playback and adding song on each speaker.
  3. Create a stereo pair
    • ​Open the Sonos app for iOS and Android.
    • From the  Settings tab, tap System.
    • Under Products, tap one of the speakers you’d like to use in your stereo pair.
    • Tap Set Up Stereo Pair (or Create Stereo Pair if using the Sonos S1 Controller) and follow the in-app instructions.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, I recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network setup including the make and model of each device to further look into this. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.